Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrpass - Major Hermann Shubert

Article about: Here's a new Wehrpass of a (I believe) Major Hermann Shubert, who fought in WWI and did some service in WW2, though I can't read the writing well enough to tell how extensive. He was quite d

Default Wehrpass - Major Hermann Shubert

Here's a new Wehrpass of a (I believe) Major Hermann Shubert, who fought in WWI and did some service in WW2, though I can't read the writing well enough to tell how extensive. He was quite decorated in WW1 however, and I think received one more during WW2. Released on 2.5.1945.

I've attached cover images, and just the pages that had writing on them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass - Major Hermann Shubert
    P
    Many

His WW-2 service was very much restricted to the Home Front in Hamburg. He was assigned to Stellvertretende Generalkommando X. Armeekorps which was basically a home front support organisation for X Armeekorps at the front.
    X. Armeekorps - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Prior to that he was assigned to Infanterie-Ersatz-Btl 333 which was also stationed in the Hamburg area.
    Last edited by hucks216; 08-13-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks for that info hucks216.

Seems he recieved the EK 1st and 2nd class in ww1 and the Kvk 2nd class with swords in ww2.

Can you make out what the award between the EK2 and EK1 is?

Quote by avenger View Post
    Can you make out what the award between the EK2 and EK1 is?
    "Verw. Abz. Schwarz" = Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz, i.e. the wound badge in black.

(Will get back to the other pages a bit later, when I get home.)

nice passbook.

Alright, here's what these pages tell us:

Hermann Carl Albert Schubert (simply called "Hermann") was born on 28th August 1892 at Sillium in the county Marienburg in the province of Hannover. His parents were Hermann Schubert, a merchant who died in 1918 and Johanna Schubert née Rust.

A natural-born German citizen, Schubert was of Protestant-Lutheran faith and married.
    Having successfully attended a Lehrerseminar [teachers' training seminar], Schubert was a school teacher "ranked" Studienrat by civilian trade. He spoke French and held a class 1 + 3b drivers' license, i.e. for motorcycles and motorcars.

Schubert had participated in World War I from its earliest stages to the end. He joined the Prussian army on 8th August 1914 to serve with Brunswick's Husarenregiment 17 [Hussar Regiment 17]. He saw action on the eastern front from 1915 to 1916 and on the western front from 1917 to 1918 and was discharged in 1919.

He was promoted to Gefreiter on 5th March 1915. He became an NCO with his promotion to Unteroffizier on 13th Oct. 1915 and was promoted once again on 22nd July 1916 to Vizefeldwebel. On 21st March 1917, he was commissioned as a Leutnant der Landwehr, i.e. a 2nd Lieutenant in the Supplementary Reserves.

Schubert was decorated with the Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse [Iron Cross 2nd Class] on 28th July 1916, the Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz [Wound Badge in Black] on 19th July 1918 and the Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse [Iron Cross 1st Class] on 28th Sept. 1918.
    On 20th April 1942, he would add the Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern [War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords] to his WWI-era decorations.

On 13th March 1937, Schubert was taken into the Landwehr I, i.e. the supplementary reserve for men under the age of 45 with previous military training.

On 10th November 1938, he took part in a Wehrversammlung [defense assembly], regular events which members of the reserves had to attend and which were used for administrative purposes and general lectures on security matters etc.

Eventually mobilized, his WWII-era service was as follows:

• 11th March 1940 - 17th June 1940 with the 4. (MG) Kompanie / Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 333 [4th (Machine Gun) Company of Infantry Replacement Battalion 333]
    • 18th June 1940 - 20th Aug. 1940 with the 3. Kompanie / Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 333 [3rd Company of Infantry Replacement Battalion 333]
    • 21st Aug. 1940 - 14th Jan. 1941 with the Genesenden-Kompanie / Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 333 [Convalescent Company of Infantry Replacement Battalion 333]
    • 15th Jan. 1941 - with the Stab Stellvertretendes Generalkommando X [Staff of the Stationary Corps Headquarters of Xth Army Corps]

On 1st October 1940, Schubert was promoted to Oberleutnant der Landwehr zur Verfügung [1st Lieutenant in the Supplementary Reserves, subject to mobilization]. His next promotion came on 1st February 1941, when he was made Hauptmann der Landwehr zur Verfügung [Captain in the Supplementary Reserves, subject to mobilization], ohne Rangdienstalter [with no seniority date]. On 20th Jan. 1942, his seniority date for that rank was set as 14th June 1941.
    His final promotion took place on 30th January 1945, when he was promoted to Major der Reserve zur Verfügung [Major of the Reserves, subject to mobilzation] with a seniority date of the same day.

This was the rank he still held when he was discharged to Hamburg on 2nd May 1945. Discharge was undertaken by the Generalkommando X. AK [Corps Headquarters of Xth Army Corps]. Even at the closing stage of the war, with VE Day less than a week away, the administrative machinery was still very much running: Prior to discharge, he was lectured on matters of secrecy, medically classified as arbeitsverwendungsfähig [fit for labor duty, i.e. the lowest category still considered fit for military service at all] and referred to the Wehrbezirkskommando [Recruiting District Command] in charge... Whichever that may have been, as the number was changed repeatedly: III, IV, V and VI are all listed.

Bearing Schubert's defense registration no. 92/14/9, this Wehrpass was issued by the Wehrbezirkskommando Hamburg II [Recruiting District Command Hamburg II] on 22nd June 1937 and signed by its Oberst [Colonel]-ranked commander.

While not a career military man and not exceptionally highly decorated, Schubert's rise through the ranks within the aggregate 10 years of his active service shows that he must have been quite a competent and capable soldier.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-13-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Wow HPL2008, thank you so much for all that info. I'm going to save that to a document to keep with the pass so it can follow it around. Very much appreciated!

Hermann may not have seen much action in WW2, but it sounds like he served with distinction and honor across two major conflicts for Germany. No doubt he held his head high the rest of his life. I wish we knew more about his activity in WW1, but that will have to be a mystery for the ages.