Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrpass - Panzeroberschütze Panzer Regiment 21 KIA - Karl Frisch

Article about: Picked up this brief but interesting Wehrpass of a panzerman from the 21st Regiment of the 20th Panzer division. This unit participated in operation Barbarosa from the beginning, pushing eas

Default Wehrpass - Panzeroberschütze Panzer Regiment 21 KIA - Karl Frisch

Picked up this brief but interesting Wehrpass of a panzerman from the 21st Regiment of the 20th Panzer division, part of the 4th Army under Generalfeldmarschall Günther von Kluge and later joined by Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock. This unit participated in operation Barbarosa from the beginning, pushing eastward into Russia and participating in the battle for Minsk, Smolensk, and moving further east to Moscow. At the time the battle for Moscow began, the 21st was unable to join the assault due to equipment disrepair. However, they soon joined the rest of army group Center in it's advance on the Russian capital, fighting to secure the difficult ground around Koje and Matschichino east of the Nara. Unfortunately for the German army, this would be the end of their advance. On December 5, 1941 the 20th Panzer division began a northward retreat, with orders to take a reserve position. However, with well less than a year of combat service Mr. Frisch would remain behind near a place called Namenskoje, as on or around December 1st 1941 he gave his life in service to the fatherland, just four months short of his 20th birthday.

He was awarded the Panzer Assault Badge in silver, and the eastern front medal posthumously.

Frisch was trained to use the 98k, lMG13, MG34, Pistol 08, MP28, Handgrenade 24, MG37, the Mauser Pistol and the Kampfwagen Kanone 38 "KwK 38 (t)". I believe the 38 (t) was similar to a panzer II. But, I'm a bit confused as the KwK38 was a panzer II canon designation, while the 38 (t) was a Czech tank. I'm not sure if this training implies he would have been in an panzer II during this assault,, the 38(t), or if this is simply regarding training and he may have been in a more modern tank. My guess is he was in the 38(t), as I found record that they were supplied to the 20th Panzer Division. I'm not sure if the pass would indicate what his specialty was (gunner, driver, etc.), though I assume he was the gunner based on the training records. Would love some clarification on these points if anyone gleans applicable info from the pass.

Last edited by avenger; 08-27-2017 at 09:28 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass - Panzeroberschütze Panzer Regiment 21 KIA - Karl Frisch
    P
    Many

The KwK 38(t) L/48 was the main gun fitted to the Czech/German Panzer 38(t) and was the German designation for that weapon. Without a list of training courses noted in the WP it is hard to say whether he was a loader of the gun or the gunner or whether the rank of 'Panzerschützen' could apply to both. Did the 38(t) even have a loader or was that down to the tank commander?

It is a nice example of a 'Typhoon' era panzer related item. One thing that surprises me with such things is that if this was his Soldbuch it would of cost four times as much, if not more, but for some reason Panzer related WP don't seem to sell very well. I know the argument of one being carried while the other is held in a Kp HQ but that shouldn't account for such a big discrepancy. Panzer snobbery in play maybe!
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to identify the signature. It looks like an Oberleutnant Decker but I have found no mention of him yet.

Note that he was also qualified for the Czechoslovak-made MG 37 (t) machine gun, which was also used as the secondary armament of the Panzerkampfwagen 35 (t) and 38 (t).

I have managed to find Oberleutnant Decker as such. Unfortunately no first name but he was in 1.Kompanie on 22nd June 1941.

MAP
    ?

Nice item Scott. I love these but don't have the patience to tease out all these wonderful details. Pretty amazing
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks gentlemen! I appreciate the help on narrowing down his position and what the training referred to. It looks like for once I was on the right track!

The 20th panzer division was specifically named in research as one of a handful of divisions mentioned that was provided the 38(t), which fits the narrative. I wish we knew more about what happened to him, as the time period in which he was killed in battle could very well imply his tank could have been destroyed by an early Soviet T-34 at a time when the Germans were still surprised about how good that tank was. Sometimes I feel like these documents just tease us.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    One thing that surprises me with such things is that if this was his Soldbuch it would of cost four times as much, if not more, but for some reason Panzer related WP don't seem to sell very well.
    Honestly, I'm happy to have any of these documents. I prefer the soldbuch like anyone else for the reason mentioned. But, will certainly be glad to take advantage of the market to get these too. That said, I've seen photos of destroyed tanks and their crew as I'm sure you guys have too. If he was killed at his station in the belly of the beast, it's a good bet the soldbuch he was carrying did not survive that battle either. This is quite possibly the last remaining record of the man of this type.

He could of been killed in a tank clash or could of been shot while relieving himself against a tree! Unfortunately we will probably never know. NARA archive series T-315 Roll 741, 742, 743 & 744 are 20.Pz.Division's War Diary for the period he was killed so they will hold clues. His name might even be in them on a loss list but that is far from a guarantee.
    But courtesy of Lexikon here is a section of the German Lage Ost map for the day he was killed so you can see who the division was facing.

?

Hi,

It appears that your nice wehrpass also bears the signature of Oberst E Koller, commander of Wehrbezirkskommando Marktredwitz, on the first page.
    Cheers,

Satzar.

?

Panzer Oberschütze Karl Frisch of 1./Panzer Regiment 21. Killed by a mine while pushing from the southwest towards the gates of Moscow.

Name: Karl Frisch
    Date of birth: 3.3.1921
    Place of birth: Förstenreuth
    Death/missing date: 1.12.1941
    Death/missing place: Namenskoje, südostw. Naro-Forminsk

Namenskoje is actually Kamenskoye and is 13km southwest of Naro-Forminsk.

Gefallen: mine, kopf und brust [?]. That is what I think it is saying- he was killed by an exploding mine to his head and chest.

I have found some of the battle report during the first few days of December in the area. The Germans clashed here with Lieutenant General Mikhail Yefremov’s 33rd Army. December 1, the day Karl Frisch fell, was when the Germans hit the center of the Soviet front. 70 tanks broke through the 222nd Rifle Division’s sector north of Naro-Forminsk. The next day the Germans assaulted the 110th Rifle Division’s sector to the east which was followed not long after by a Russian counteroffensive by the 113th Rifle Division.

I found cards to two others in 1. Kompanie killed this day and one the following day. One to artillery fire and the others to mines. Schützen-Regiment 112 and Kradschützen-Bataillon 20 were fighting in the same area but took heavier casualties on the date. Some of the wounded were pulled back to H.V.Pl Balabanovo to the southwest. According to his second casualty card, Karl Frisch was buried in the center of town in Dedenevo, 14km directly south of Naro-Forminsk with the others from 1. Kompanie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast