Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wehrpass Translation

Article about: Hello from a new member! I have been researching your forum's amazing help for those who have Wehrpasses, and I hope that I might find help with a document that I have. This Wehrpass was amo

Default Re: Wehrpass Translation

ALSO -- if anyone can possibly read the names of his father and mother (and her maiden name), his profession, and his religion, I would be thankful.

You all are the BEST.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass Translation
    P
    Many

It looks like his parents names were Georg & Anna.
    His trade was a labourer but I can't make out the word below that - Hilfs........

hucks216, you are awesome.
    Can you read the mother's maiden name?

Very hard to make that out - might be Baumunck but far from sure.
    He was single.

Thank you, thank you!

I can't quite make out the maiden name of Schwoch's mother, either, but as for some of the other blanks:

The word below "Arbeiter" [= worker, laborer] is "Hilfsschlosser". Schlosser, depending on context, can be translated as locksmith, fitter or metalworker; the "Hilfs-" [= assistant-, auxiliary-, helper-] prefix means he was not fully trained in this craft and basically worked as an unskilled laborer.

His religion is given as "ev." (= "evangelisch"), i.e. Protestant; his marital status is given as "led." (= "ledig"), i.e. unmarried.

The injury he suffered is given as "le. (= leichte) Gehirnerschütterung" (minor cerebral concussion). The fact that he was not awarded a Wound Badge implies that this was a duty-related injury not caused by direct effects from enemy weapons.

The entries for awards and decorations on page 23 are: "E.K. II" (= "Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse") [= Iron Cross 2nd Class], "Ostmedaille für die Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" [= "Winter Campaign Medal for the 1941/42 Eastern Campaign"] and "Kraftfahrbewährungsabz." (= "-abzeichen") [= "Motor Vehicle Drivers' Service Badge"] in Bronze and Silver. Additions are listed on page 38 with the "KVK (= Kriegsverdienstkreuz) II. Klasse mit Schwerter" [= War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords"] and the "Pz. Kpf. Abz. I. Stufe" ("Panzerkampfabzeichen I. Stufe") [= "Tank Combat Badge I. Grade"].

Thank you, HPL2008. May I ask you, or any others who may know, how this man's military career ended? Decommissioning? Surrender? Not death, I see no entry for that. Just curious as to where he might have gone after the final entry.

Again, thanks all!

Quote by Lisavetta Zee View Post
    May I ask you, or any others who may know, how this man's military career ended? Decommissioning? Surrender? Not death, I see no entry for that. Just curious as to where he might have gone after the final entry.
    Impossible to tell from this document, as this Wehrpass was never "closed":

The final duty assignment entry on page 12 (6th Coy. of Panzer Regiment 3) has a date for the beginning of the assignment (11 Nov. 44) but not for the end. A discharge would have been recorded on pages 24/25 and death on page 35; no such entries are present.

All we know is that he was still alive in January 1945.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 05-03-2013 at 08:33 PM.

That's interesting -- and helpful. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2