Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.

Article about: Hi Chaps, I'm after some help 'writing up' this Wehrpass. It's packed with info; but I'm having trouble working some of it out. The details below is as far as I've got. I'd like some help wh

Default Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.

Hi Chaps, I'm after some help 'writing up' this Wehrpass. It's packed with info; but I'm having trouble working some of it out. The details below is as far as I've got. I'd like some help where the question marks are. The main areas are his units, ranks, late war service & training.

Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein & Cross of Honour 1914/18 (with uniform ribbon bar) To Rank??? Edmund Buchholz.
    Unit ???????.

Wehrpass issued on 24/11/1938 in Hamburg.
    Edmund Albert Walter Buchholz was born on 15/09/1900 in Wittstock, Ostprignitz, in north-western Brandenburg. He was a ??? by faith and in a civilian life a ???. He was married ??? to Hedwig and lived in Hamburg. Interestingly her address changed after July 1943 to Strasburg probably due to the major Allied air raids on Hamburg at that time. Edmund served in WW1 from June to December 1918 with Inf. Rgt. 31 ‘Graf Bose’ (1st Thuringisches). For this service he was awarded the "Eurenkreuz fur Kriegsteilnehmer" or Cross of Honour 1914/18 as noted in the Wehrpass.
    He was trained to use the K98 rifle and between 19/04/43 and 14/05/1943 trained with the 2cm ??????flak 38. He also received other training including??????.
    Edmund was ‘called up’ on 25/08/1939 and served with ??????????? in the campaign in Poland. He then fought, for the second time, in Holland and France until 19/06/1940 still with ?????. From 20/06/1940 to 31/10/1940 he served with the Occupation Forces in France. He then returned for ‘home service’ until 08/12/1940. Between 17/07/1943 and 14/11/1944 he was served with the Occupation Forces in Utrecht, Holland. Edmund ended the war serving on ??????? from 15/11/1944 to 24/02/1945. After his combat service he served with ???????????????. Edmund rose through the ranks and by the end of the war was a ???????????.

Thanks,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.   Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.  

Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.   Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.  

Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.   Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.  

Last edited by DUJAILAH; 06-19-2011 at 07:19 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein To Edmund Buchholz.

The writing is quite bad but for his unit in Poland I see Kw.Kol and the stamps for that period seem to say Nachsch Fuhrer 422 which is a supply unit (Nachschub) at Korps level... Korps-Nachschubfhrer 422 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    The Betr. Stoff that you can see after the Kw.Kol entry is short for Betriebsstoff which means Fuel, so basically he belonged to a fuel supply unit from 25th Aug 1939 to 7th Dec 1940 and then other supply units until at least mid-1943.
    I think the rank on the top of page 23 says Zahlmeister d.R which is Paymaster (d.R indicates he is in the Reserve), which makes sense when you see the rank of who signed and stamped the entry.

As for the weapon entry, it says 2 cm vierlingFlak 38 which is the 4 barrelled anti aircraft gun shown here (courtesy of Wiki/BA)...

I'm not sure what his units were after mid 1943 but they might of been something to do with weapon arsenals/magazines - but I could be completely wrong with that.
    Last edited by hucks216; 06-19-2011 at 10:51 PM.

The Feldpost Number seen on a couple fof the stamps in the WP and on the driving license do tally with his unit at the time...
    (Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 3. große Kraftwagen-Kolonne für Betriebsstoff Korps-Kolonne 422,
    (28.4.1940-19.9.1940) 2. große Kraftwagen-Kolonne für Betriebsstoff Korps-Kolonne 422,
    (1.10.1940-27.2.1941) 3. große Kraftwagen-Kolonne für Betriebsstoff Korps-Kolonne 422.

His last unit was Verwaltungs-Kompanie 620 which I think is a supply management unit so it looks like he was in the supply & support services for the duration of the war.

Thanks Hucks216, that certainly adds to my info. Great pic, Cheers, Ruichard.

?

Wehrpass are very interesting i dont have one, but its on my list of things to get.
    i like your one

Quote by HistoryIsMe View Post
    Wehrpass are very interesting i dont have one, but its on my list of things to get.
    i like your one
    Cheers HistoryIsMe, Yeah, they can be fascinating. The best ones have plenty of info.

The handwriting is giving me a hard time, but I have filled in most of the blanks:

Wehrpass, Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein & Cross of Honour 1914/18 (with uniform ribbon bar) To Zahlmeister der Reserve [Reserve Paymaster] Edmund Buchholz. Final unit: Administrative Company 620 [Verwaltungskompanie 620].
    Wehrpass issued on 24/11/1938 in Hamburg.
    Edmund Albert Walter Buchholz was born on 15/09/1900 in Wittstock, Ostprignitz, in north-western Brandenburg. He was a ??? by faith*) and in a civilian life an accountant [Buchhalter] . He was married to Hedwig and lived in Hamburg. Interestingly her address changed after July 1943 to Strasburg in the Uckermark region of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern possibly due to the major Allied air raids on Hamburg at that time. Edmund served in WW1 from June to December 1918 with Inf. Rgt. 31 ‘Graf Bose’ (1st Thüringisches) and was dismissed as a Musketier, the traditional lowest rank for common infantry soldiers. For this service he was awarded the "Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer" or Cross of Honour 1914/18 as noted in the Wehrpass.
    He was trained to use the K98 rifle and between 19/04/43 and 14/05/1943 trained with the 2cm Quad Anti-Aircraft Gun [Vierlingsflak] 38. He later attended an NCO training course [Unterführer-Lehrgang] in its abbreviated wartime form from 11/03/1940 to 23/03/1940. He also qualified for the Military Drivers' Licence Class 3. [Wehrmachtführerschein Klasse 3] on 02/08/1940. Later, he was trained as an army administrative official starting with an initial instructive course [Einweisungslehrgang] from 26/01/1942 to 14/02/1942 at the Army Administration School [Heeresverwaltungsschule] at Lüneburg. For subsequent practical training, he was detailed to the Replacement Provisions Magazine [Ersatzverpflegungsmagazin] at Rendsburg from 16/02/1942 to 10/04/1942. He attended another training course at an Army School at Celle from 10/06/1942 to 10/12/1943.
    Edmund was ‘called up’ on 25/08/1939 and served with a motorized fuel supply column in the campaign in Poland. He then fought, for the second time, in Holland and France until 25/06/1940 still with the fuel supply column. From 26/06/1940 to 31/10/1940 he served with the Occupation Forces in France. He then returned for ‘home service’ until 08/12/1940. Between 17/07/1943 and 24/02/1945 he served in the defense/security of the Netherlands [Sicherung der Niederlande]. During this period, he had a medical follow-up examination at Utrecht on 25/02/1944 that found him fit for war service [kriegsverwendungsfähig or KV]. Edmund, a buck private of the Supplementary Reserves [Landwehr] when WW2 broke out, was promoted to Gefreiter der Landwehr on 01/11/39 and with his promotion to Unteroffizier der Landwehr became an NCO on 01/09/1940. His status changed from that of a soldier to that of an Army Official when he was appointed as a Wartime Administrative Inspector [Kriegsverwaltungsinspektor] effective of 11/07/1942. As per 01/12/43, he became a Reserve Paymaster [Zahlmeister der Reserve]. His status changed yet again after the new Special Troop Service [Truppensonderdienst or TSD] was established in 1944. He was taken over as a TSD officer of the administrative career effective 01/05/1944. Still designated Zahlmeister der Reserve, he was now an officer of a rank equivalent to Oberleutnant.

*) Note: Unless I am mistaken, the entry appears to say "ausgesch." I guess this could stand for "ausgeschieden" [= has left] or perhaps "ausgeschlossen" [= expelled]. In both cases, he would not have been a member of a confession.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 06-21-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Cheers HPL2008, brilliant work & very much appreciated You've added loads of info & to find out he ended the war virtually an officer is fascinating. I wish I'd learnt German at school now; but shamefully I'm like most Englishmen in only knowing my native language!!, Many Thanks, All The Best, Richard.

You're welcome! I'll say that English sure is one of the more useful things I learned in school. (Best of all, it being a standard part of the curriculum, I didn't even have to make the decision to learn it.)

One more thing, I just noticed something: The 1914/18 Honor Cross and ribbon bar included with the Wehrpass are for the Frontkämpfer [= Frontline Soldiers'] class, while the Wehrpass entry lists the award of the Kriegsteilnehmer [= Participants in the War, i.e. 'without swords'] class. Maybe the entry is incorrect; maybe the cross and ribbon bar are not from this recipient.

By the way, I did a thread on those 1914/18 Honor Crosses just last week; perhaps it is of interest to you: The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz at War relics forum
    Last edited by HPL2008; 06-21-2011 at 08:36 PM.

At my school we had a choice to do French, German or not. Sadly I chose to do something else. I wish I had been forced to do another language it would have been useful now!!
    Thanks for the heads up with the medal. They came together; but could have been put together later. I'll check your thread, Cheers, Richard.
    Last edited by DUJAILAH; 06-21-2011 at 09:12 PM.