Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrpass to wilhelm jansen.

Article about: Hi Chaps, here's my latest. I've done a bit of a 'write up' (see below). Hopefully it's correct; but please check. I've also got some specific questions: - 1. On page 4 what does section 12

Default Wehrpass to wilhelm jansen.

Hi Chaps, here's my latest. I've done a bit of a 'write up' (see below). Hopefully it's correct; but please check. I've also got some specific questions: -

1. On page 4 what does section 12 say? Also on page 4, whats in the brackets on section 11?

2. On page 12 what's in front of the third entry ?? I.R.483?

3. Have I missed anything on pages 32 & 33?

4. On page 34, am I correct to assume he was shot by a sniper & where was he killed?

Thanks in advance for any help, Cheers, Richard.

Wehrpass To Unteroffizier Wilhelm Peter Jansen.
    9. Komp./Infantry Regiment 436.

Born 17/01/1920 in München-Gladbach-Holt, Dusseldorf. He was single and Catholic. Wilhelm was a graduate and spoke French, English & Spanish.

Entitled to: - Krimschild awarded posthumously 16/12/1942 (not in Wehrpass, see letter issued ‘in the field’).

Wilhelm volunteered for military service on 09/12/1938 swearing his oath on 27/08/1939. Earlier in April/May ’39 he had served in the RAD. Wilhelm was initially posted to 4.Bau-Batl.139 from 26/08/1939. He was then posted on active service with 2.Kp.Inf.Ers.Batl.463 from 26/08/1939. He quickly moved on the 29/10/1939 to I.R. 483, part of 263 Inf. Div., and served on the Westfront in Belgium and France. During this period Wilhelm was promoted to Gefreiter on 01/03/1940. On 20/10/1940 he transferred to 9.Kp./I.R.436. They were part of 132.Infanterie-Division. This Division first saw action in the Balkans Region on anti-partisan and security operations, moving through the areas of Marburg/Drau-Cilli-Agram-Banja Luka to the area of Sarajevo. Whilst on this service Wilhelm was again promoted, this time to Unteroffizier on 01/04/1941. The Division was relieved by the 718.Infanterie-Division in late May of 1941. After security duties in the occupied areas of the Balkans, including Belgrade, the Division was transferred to the Eastern Front in preparation for the planned attack on the Soviet Union. After crossing into Southern Russia in 1941, the Division fought into the Crimea. Wilhelm was killed in action being shot in the head (possibly by a sniper) on 04/11/1941 2km West??? of Sijbren????.

Note: - The Wehrpass came in a group of items including Krimschild (2nd pattern in zinc made by Deumer), award letter to Wilhelm’s father, Heinrich, sent on 15/04/1943 from an Oberleutnant ‘in the field’, memorial death certificate sent by Wilhelm’s Leutnant & 9.Kompanie-Fuhrer on 10/12/1942 & a notice from ‘Der Kommandant von Gross-Paris’ stating the expected conduct of new officers while on leave (perhaps Wilhelm was in line for further promotion?)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass to wilhelm jansen.   Wehrpass to wilhelm jansen.  

Wehrpass to wilhelm jansen.   Wehrpass to wilhelm jansen.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass to wilhelm jansen.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wehrpass to wilhelm jansen.

On page 12 what's in front of the third entry ?? I.R.483? - That looks like NZ which I think relates to the signals platoon (Nachricten Zug).

On page 34, am I correct to assume he was shot by a sniper & where was he killed? - I think it mentions that he died as a result of either a head wound or being shot in the head. Not sure about the sniper bit.

Here is his entry in the Volksbund Database which shows where he was killed...
    Wehrpass to wilhelm jansen.

Thanks hucks216, great work as usual. I tried to find him on the Volksbund Database but couldn't find him as I was looking for Wilhelm not Willi, Thanks Again, Richard.

Nice early 132 ID Pass, Funny Ive just finished reading again, In Deadly Combat. By Gottlob Herbert Bidermann who was Former member of this unit.

Thanks Justin, I'll check out the book as I haven't read it yet, Cheers, Richard.

Section 11:
    The word in brackets after his language skills is "Schulk." = "Schulkenntnisse", meaning, roughly "school knowledge". This is to clarify the level of language proficiency, in this case the basic one. (as opposed to specialized professional training or mother tongue)

Section 12:
    The entry says...
    "Freischwimmer m. Ausw.[= "mit Ausweis"]
    Grundschein D.L.R.G.
    Reichsjugendsportabzeichen 8286
    ."

Freischwimmer ("free swimmer") is a swimming test, comprising 15 minutes of swimming in deep water and a 1 meter jump into water.
    Grundschein D.L.R.G. means "basic certificate D.L.R.G.", i.e. the Deutsche Lebensrettungsgesellschaft (German Lifesaving Association). Again, a swimming test, in this case for water rescue.
    Reichsjugendsportabzeichen means "National Youth Sports Badge", apparently followed by the badge number.

Page 34:
    The entry on his death starts with "2 km westl. Bahnhof" (= "2 kilometers west of railway station", followed by the geographical designation, about which I am not sure.
    Cause of death is "Gefallen infolge I.G. Kopf" (= "Fallen due to I.G. head"). Not sure what exactly this means. I know "I.G." as the abbreviation for "Infanteriegeschütz" (= "infantry support gun"). This seems odd in context with a headshot, but maybe he was hit by a bit of shrapnel. Perhaps "I.G." means something different in this context.
    Anyway, I see no clear hint that he was killed by a sniper.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 01-20-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Hi HPL2008, brilliant help again, as usual Perhaps the I.G. could stand for Infanteriegewehr, Many Thanks, Richard.

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    Perhaps the I.G. could stand for Infanteriegewehr.
    I dug around a bit more and I think I found the correct meaning: Infanteriegeschoss, i.e. a collective term for a projectile from an infantry weapon such as a rifle round.

The abbreviation is used with that meaning in this excerpt from a Wehrmacht officers' war diary:
    Kollektives Gedächtnis: Erich Landzettel
    (See the last two sentences in the entry on 30.5.1942)

Another point of interest:
    I just read the other day that the causes of death "Herzschuss" (heart shot) and "Kopfschuss" (head shot) - both of which imply a mercifully quick death - were sometimes entered in the Wehrpässe in cases of more gruesome actual causes of death.
    The reason for this was that the Wehrpässe were sent back to the next-of-kin of fallen soldiers, who were to be saved from additional grief.
    If this is true, a headshot can be the true cause of death or a "cover story".

Anyway, allow me to remark that your "write-ups" are an excellent idea. They shape the cold, hard data in these documents into something of a portrait or a biographical sketch of the men behind them.

Fantastic grouping Richard and wonderful work. It really is bad enough that these guys gave their lives for a lost cause, but being forgotten into perpetuity is the final insult. I agree with HP wholeheartedly. Production of these biographical sketches is a great idea. Any soldier that gives his life for his country, no matter which country that may be, should never be forgotten. Also HP, once again, your robust grasp of the German language contributes greatly to this forum, thank you!

Jay

Thanks sitges1990 & HPL2008.

HPL2008, that's great work with the I.G. problem. I think you've nailed it. I agree that it would have been used to save the families more misery. This was often the case in the British Army in the Great War/WK1. I'm sure that a mother would rather hear that they died painlessly than crying out for them (as often seems the case) as they died of painful wounds.

On the 'write up' matter I couldn't agree with you more sitges1990. I've always been interested in the human story behind the items I collect as I always find it fascinating. That's the real history for me, Cheers, Richard.

P.S. I'm gonna post another interesting coincidence about this group later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast