Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet POW pencil drawing (self portrait) while inprisoned in Finland

Article about: Nothing dramatic but has soe documentation from his inprisonment and working in a country mansion. The picture was given as a memory. Can anyone make out his name?? Wonder what happened to t

Jan
    ?

Default Soviet POW pencil drawing (self portrait) while inprisoned in Finland

Nothing dramatic but has soe documentation from his inprisonment and working in a country mansion. The picture was given as a memory. Can anyone make out his name?? Wonder what happened to this young man after the war :/

Rgds Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet POW pencil drawing (self portrait) while inprisoned in Finland   Soviet POW pencil drawing (self portrait) while inprisoned in Finland  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet POW pencil drawing (self portrait) while inprisoned in Finland
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soviet POW pencil drawing (self portrait) while inprisoned in Finland

Hi Jan ,it looks like "N R Orlov" to me?

Cheers, Ade.

Jan
    ?

Default Re: Soviet POW pencil drawing (self portrait) while inprisoned in Finland

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jan ,it looks like "N R Orlov" to me?

Cheers, Ade.
    That could be it!

Rgds Jan

It's very confusing as it doesn't seem to be written in Russian.

I doubt it is written in Russian, if it was, it'd be Орлов. Perhaps it might be written Latvian, Lithuanian or Estonian as they don't use Cyrillic?

For me it seems to be "Nik. Orlov" - Nikolai Orlov. In many cases faith of ex-POW-s was sad. Many of them were sent to Siberia.

Jan
    ?

Thanks for the kind comment. Had the picture framed a few months ago for protetion.

Cheers Jan

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    For me it seems to be "Nik. Orlov" - Nikolai Orlov. In many cases faith of ex-POW-s was sad. Many of them were sent to Siberia.

Very haunting portrait Jan, but it's a nice thought provoking piece.

Jay

Iurii Kravchenko
    ?

My grandfather Sergei Kravchenko was in one of those Scandinavian prisons in that time. And only want to say about his portraits that had gave some food from german soldiers to prisoners with he. I heard only that story and I happy that my grandfather wasn't imprisoned in Siberia later.

If you will see something like that drawings - please write to me jurij.kravchenko@gmail.com

Jan
    ?

Yhanks Iurii for your contribution here. I am happy for your grandfather!

Best,

Jan

Jan
    ?

Quote by Comrade Emmett View Post
    It's very confusing as it doesn't seem to be written in Russian.

I doubt it is written in Russian, if it was, it'd be Орлов. Perhaps it might be written Latvian, Lithuanian or Estonian as they don't use Cyrillic?
    I think it was written the way it was because it was given to Finnish speaking people.

Best, Jan