Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question regarding SS officer buckles

Article about: Hi! Guys I was wondering why there exist so many differences in terms of quality when it comes to SS officer buckles even though it was supposedly mostly work of one maker. As an example I w

?

Default Question regarding SS officer buckles

Hi!
    Guys I was wondering why there exist so many differences in terms of quality when it comes to SS officer buckles even though it was supposedly mostly work of one maker. As an example I will present some pics of mid war Overhoff buckles all marked 36/42 since it is one of the more common types so gathering photos throughout internet was much easier with this one

Note that it is especially visible when you look at part (how is it called ?) just below wings on reverse - I expertly marked it with red circles on some pics

Maybe it is due to a manufacturing process ? But as far as I know they were stamped in one factory so there shouldnt be so many differences between them and by looking at these photos almost every buckle is different at least in this area. There were no quality checks back then ? Or maybe I am overanalyzing and no one bothered with that because they had bigger problems back then

Sorry for this stupid question but it really makes me think how exactly they made these things ? And are these differences normal ? I bet most expert collectors are all aware of this fact so maybe someone could explain it for me...

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question regarding SS officer buckles   Question regarding SS officer buckles  

Question regarding SS officer buckles   Question regarding SS officer buckles  

Last edited by Anghar; 02-18-2020 at 08:52 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question regarding SS officer buckles
    P
    Many

?

Another example this time with late war Overhoff.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question regarding SS officer buckles   Question regarding SS officer buckles  

No question is stupid so please feel free to ask. The part you refer to is the crimp. I dont honestly have an answer other than theories. I suppose some were made in different factories with different skilled workers so that could be one answer. the later the war went on I would assume quality went down with the materials getting harder to come by and not the same quality metals. Again just a theory as to why, other may chime in with other ideas.
    Ben

?

You might want to check out J.P. Redeuilh thread SS buckles to collect: The ultimate list. It is here and on WAF. When it is done it will be the best reference for SS officers and EM buckles. Lot of great information.

Quote by kirby View Post
    You might want to check out J.P. Redeuilh thread SS buckles to collect: The ultimate list. It is here and on WAF. When it is done it will be the best reference for SS officers and EM buckles. Lot of great information.
    You will prob find there are more in here

SS Officer Buckle makers
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans
    I suppose some were made in different factories with different skilled workers
    Overhoff had only one factory in Lüdenscheid and every buckle was made there. Of course there was more than one worker there, but buckles never been piece of jewelry. They were mass produced, even for SS officer buckles. The reason for crimps differences is due to a two pieces construction assembled later. and such assembly, for SS officer buckles made from zinc, lasted 4 years. Any buckle mold or die was lasting few months, not years, before the need to be replaced. So not only you will face differencies in design (made by the die/mold engaver - even been the same person) but also in assembly.

If one is interested he can read this thread where such differences were also explained for SS officer buckles made from aluminum (same kind of construction but different material) then go to post#23

S.S. buckle for review 822/38 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Quote by Ben Evans
    You will prob find there are more in here
    Probably more "there" for this particular question (post #23 and more)

S.S. buckle for review 822/38 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums