Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

SS Buckle - Authenticate or Fake? How to tell??

Article about: This buckle has been in my family for over 50 years. I have no reason to think it is not as real as my grandfather told me but I don't know what to look for to tell. Can the experts here tel

Default SS Buckle - Authenticate or Fake? How to tell??

This buckle has been in my family for over 50 years. I have no reason to think it is not as real as my grandfather told me but I don't know what to look for to tell. Can the experts here tell me what to look for and what would tell me that this buckle isn't "right" and belongs in the Fake SS Buckle Database.

Thanks,

Daryl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Buckle - Authenticate or Fake? How to tell??   SS Buckle - Authenticate or Fake? How to tell??  

SS Buckle - Authenticate or Fake? How to tell??   SS Buckle - Authenticate or Fake? How to tell??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Buckle - Authenticate or Fake? How to tell??
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Buckle - Authenticate or Fake? How to tell??

Hi Daryl, and welcome to the forum!

This is the so called "OLT" fake. Note the SS runes in a diamond, the fakers own intials and his telephone number used a bogus markings! This fake is covered in detail here on the forum.

These have been around since the 1970's. I think the family may be mistaken about just how long they have had it.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks! Yeah I know how family history stories go. I watch Antiques Roadshow. That's why I always research and ask people with more knowledge than me.

So can you tell me what "SS runes in a Diamond" mean signifies. I'm a CW collector and this stuff is ALL Greek to me. If it were real, what would be there?

I appreciate the help.

Daryl

Hi Daryl, the SS runes in the diamond is a bogus fantasy mark. Tony Oliver, the guy who made these, invented the mark. The funny thing is, other fakers have since copied it thinking it is legitimate. It has inspired by an original wartime diamond shaped makers mark.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks. I saw in some threads that the numbers were his phone number. Geez.

Well I guess it's one for the grandkids. If there were more and the design evolved, they may be collectible one day. When I MD in the UK, we find counterfeit coins from the 1700's. If they survive in good condition, they are worth more than an original. Hope springs eternal.

Thanks for the help.

This one is solved.

Daryl

Hi Daryl. Adrian is right...but as you have mentioned: these have become somewhat collectible in their own right....I don't think they will ever gain more value than original buckles though. It's a well known reproduction that has a cool story behind it (How Oliver used his phone number in the stampings).
    Cheers!
    Rob

Ade
    I still do not understand 'the runs in the diamond'. I have a similar buckle but it is in my home in Canada and I am presently very cold in sunny (?) Florida. I'd like to be able to identify it when I go north in April.
    mike

The runes in the diamond are found on some reproductions/fantasy because this was never done on authentic SS buckles. Sounds like you might have a reproduction buckle - but posting pics (when you get back to Canada) will certainly ascertain wether it is or not.
    Cheers!
    Rob

As the guys have already stated the buckle is the "Tony Oliver" fake from the 70s. Also the SS runes in a triangle are fake also. Shame really, I have seen some nice original pieces ruined by someone stamping these runes into them trying to bump up the price!!!!
    Ben