Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

ss buckle real or fake?

Article about: just found this one hiding in a box at the bottom of my safe. i had previously dismissed it as a fake. i would appreciate any opinions on this buckle however. thanks -sean

Default ss buckle real or fake?

just found this one hiding in a box at the bottom of my safe. i had previously dismissed it as a fake. i would appreciate any opinions on this buckle however.
    thanks
    -seanss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss buckle real or fake?
    P
    Many

Default Re: ss buckle real or fake?

I know that there are forum members who are experienced enough to instantly provide an opinion on this SS buckle and of course, Jean-Pierre as the foremost expert and authority on SS buckles is a forum member and an extremely valued contributor to War Relics.

For myself however, it can be hard work.

The buckle shown is very interesting and is the Overhoff variant where the SS runes are within a double circle. The double circle 1940 SS is heavily faked and appears to be improving, to include those now seen with a lacquer type finish.

Is it possible to have a full obverse and a full reverse image, taken in natural light?

As a matter of interest, the fakes are moulded and not die stamped. The original buckle was always die stamped.

The moulding process leaves the buckle a little under sized, although this "defect" is being improved upon by those churning out the fakes.

In relation to the width of the buckle, an original buckle should be a fraction OVER 48mm, whilst the fake is a fraction UNDER 47mm. For the length, an original buckle should be a fraction UNDER 65mm, whilst the fake is a fraction OVER 62mm.

Regards,

David

I am with David, the best way is to measure the buckle or post pics in natural light so we can see the real colour of the buckle, the fakes ones are much "greyer" in colour than the original.
    Ben

here are 2 in natural light.
    now i am almost certain that it is a fake.
    thank you very much for the width / length info

ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?

Dear Sean

In my opinion - ORIGINAL !!

Regards,

David

From these new pics I would also say it is original, very nice bright aluminium, what are the measurements?
    Ben

no way to measure atm, i will pick up a digital caliper this afternoon ad post pictures of my findings this evening. been needing to get one for a while now, guess this provides a good excuse.
    -sean

well it looks like we have a winner here!

length is 64.65 mm
    width is 48.47

see enclosed pictures!!!

ss buckle real or fake?ss buckle real or fake?

thanks for the information on the dimensions, without that it might have just languished in my safe.