Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

SS Buckles to collect: The ultimate list

Article about: Years that I did not publish any updates in this particular field of collecting. Years collectors (and leeches) were asking for it. So today you finally got it in your Forum as well. This li

Aluminum Buckles (SS Officer) 1937 to 1940:

Assmann
    Unmarked (Believed to be prototype - buckle without prongs)
    Unmarked (Believed to be prototype - buckle with prongs)

No need anymore to introduce those buckles. Few of each variant are known but none is unique. Or I should rather say that one, at least, is unique in the fact that it is mounted on a unique SS brocade, probably a prototype SS brocade as well. This brocade with attached buckle belongs to a well known Belgian collector.

All pictures I am using were taken by Marc Verstraete when buckles were still in his collection.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Buckles to collect: The ultimate list
    P
    Many

Overhoff
    RZM 36/37 oLc SS

Pictures are still mine by buckle was sold to Dan D. (USA) - KC1 in this Forum

Overhoff
    RZM 36/38 oLc SS

This is a beautiful and classic buckle. Most original SS brocade belts will come with one of those buckles. Be the reader aware that all 36/38's were not strictly identical!

Pictures are still mine but I sold this buckle to someone that I do not remember...

If someone is interested, I still have available for sale two mounted on SS brocades.

Overhoff
    RZM 36/39 oLc SS
    Pictures are still mine but I sold this mint buckle on a SS Brocade to Ric, Moderator of the WAF Forum

Overhoff
    RZM 36/39 oLc SS overstamped with Large oLc

This is an extremely rare marking. This larger oLc which is stamped over the regular marking is usually found on other buckles but never alone. The first time I saw this larger oLc was on de-nazified SS EM buckles sold after the war. Collectors were saying this was a postwar marking used only on postwar buckles made by Overhoff. Then I saw it applied on at least one non de-nazified SS EM buckle, allowing to believe this marking on de-nazified SS EM buckles was not applied AFTER the war but DURING the very last period of war. Then I obtained this ground dug example attesting this large oLc marking was already used well before the end of war...

Pictures are still mine but I sold this buckle to Ric, Moderator of the WAF Forum.

Overhoff
    RZM 36/40 oLc SS

This is the very last year Overhoff made SS officer buckles in aluminum. By 1942 a new serie made from zinc will be available.

For note, this pictured buckle is coming directly from the family of a former officer of the 5th SS Panzer Division "Wiking".

Pictures are still mine but this beautiful buckle was sold to Alessandro O. (Italy)

Exact same as SS officer buckles but Gold finished
    RZM 36/39 oLc SS

Those SS buckles were initially made only for WasserschutzPolizei officers holding as well an officer rank in the SS. Since they were initially created to fit the hyper rare SS brocade with blue backing, it is legitimate to do not expect any marking before the introduction of such brocade (1939). By later regulation any officer in the WasserschutzPolizei could wear either this buckle either the golden police officer one (WasserschutzPolizei officers holding as well an officer rank in the SS did NOT have that choice. They HAD TO wear the golden SS one).

AFTER THE SS OFFICER BUCKLES MADE BY C.T.DICKE THESE GOLD COLORED ARE THE ULTIMATE RAREST SS OFFICER BUCKLES ONE CAN FIND!! But collectors have to be very careful since there is some smart crooks who just gilded a regular SS officer buckle originally finished in silver. To recognize them is not that hard if you know exactly how looks an original. For this reason I will not post full pictures of the originals I know but just only marking details since this is anyway the topic of this thread.

Picture is from Joe W. (USA)

Exact same as SS officer buckles but Gold finished
    RZM 36/40 oLc SS

To illustrate this buckle, and to let you see a full view, I am using pictures originally posted by Graig Gottlieb in 2013 when he purchased this buckle directly from a US veteran at an American show. This buckle was then resold the very same day to an american collector.

NOTE: There is differences between the two above buckles. The first buckle posted (the one where I did not show the full views) is coming from a very old collection. It was find like this with no story attached.

The second was, as stated, purchased at a US show from a (believed to be) veteran then resold the same day to a collector. I do not have any reason to doubt about its originality but this buckle came along with those two other items: gilded skull and SS eagle. Graig Gottlieb stated the buckle was ANODIZED. When the set was sold (eagle+skull+buckle) it was sold on the very strong belief this was originally the property of Sepp Dietrich. I hardly doubt participants to this exchange of property ever knew the existence of golden SS buckles for the Wasserschutzpolizei but the eagle and skull are still not explained and that lead could be valid. But if we do accept this lead, we could also tend to believe those three accessories were issued in another finish then gilded by special order for a very particular authority and, in such, the finish not be conform to the other regular golden SS officer buckles introduced in 1939. I let reader believe what he/she wants.
    Those pictures, as well as the previous two, are from either Graig Gottlieb, either Joe W. (USA) I do not remember who send them to me.

Christian Th. Dicke
    RZM SS 257/39

In term of rarity and just after the golden SS officer buckles, these buckles made by C.T.Dicke are the second rarest. Only a short serie of them has been produced by the C.T.Dicke firm. The ones made for the police are more numerous.

NOTE: Since there was already an attempt to reproduce those buckles few years ago, I will post here only basic pictures. There is no need to help more fakers. I will also use even two different examples, one buckle for the front and another one for the back. There should be enough details for the collector to recognize such buckle but NOT all details.

Picture of the front belongs to Fred, member of the WAF forum.
    Picture of the back belongs to Leo T. (Estonia)

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast