Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle

Article about: Here is a recent aquisition, it is an unmarked (as far as I can see) SS officer's buckle. I would like to know a little more about it, perhaps the manufacturer. It looks and feels like a zin

Default Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle

Here is a recent aquisition, it is an unmarked (as far as I can see) SS officer's buckle. I would like to know a little more about it, perhaps the manufacturer. It looks and feels like a zinc buckle which I estimate would make it later war production. It is a ground find and is rather salty. I'm not entirely sure if unmarked SS officers buckles are that prolific. I have seen SS EM/NCO unmarked variations. Any opinions are greatfully received.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle   Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle  

Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle   Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle  

Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle

To be honest I have never seen one like this, the early flat back buckles are normally marked, at the rear I also dont like the crimp, it looks like the ones on repros, like I said never seen one like it, I will look further into it but initial thoughts are from me I dont like it, sorry my friend
    Ben

Look at the crimp on this fake one, very similar to the one you posted
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked SS Officer's Buckle  

Thanks for your comments Ben. They are interesting and I agree with your point about flat back buckles and crimping. However, this buckle does not have a back plate. Correct me if I am mis-lead, but a backplate would accomodate the buckle turns. In this case the buckle turns are cast to the rim of the buckle, like some Political buckles I have seen around. Hence, no need for a crimp.

Like I have said I have never seen one if these before on any forum book or original catalogue, if you have found an undiscoverd SS Officers buckle it would be great but again IMO to me another variant of fake, I hope I am wrong, have a good Xmas
    Ben

BTW whereabouts in Notts are you?
    Ben

I have to agree wirth Ben on this buckle. I know you say the catches are a part of the round backing but I can see both the upper and lower crimps and would guesss that they are in fact holding the catches in place and if not, the crimp is then holding the entire back of the buckle in place.. Looks like a new variation on the older fakes that has also been aged with rust. I hate this type of red rust but it is a sure sign of a fake.

Best Wishes to everyone for a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Bill

I'm inclined to agree on this. Why else would an apparent zinc buckle have rust on it. Thanks for the input.

As previously said, it is indeed a fake. Why so many variants, with some more stupid than others? I do not know. But, just for anyone information, I saw in 2004 at Louisville, KY an aluminum fake, cast, which was a cast of the well known "V chest" (usually made in steel) with an full OLT (Tony Oliver's) marking!
    Saw that only once. But someone produced it.

Quote by Jean Pierre Redeuilh View Post
    As previously said, it is indeed a fake. Why so many variants, with some more stupid than others? I do not know. But, just for anyone information, I saw in 2004 at Louisville, KY an aluminum fake, cast, which was a cast of the well known "V chest" (usually made in steel) with an full OLT (Tony Oliver's) marking!
    Saw that only once. But someone produced it.
    Thanks for the insight JP
    Ben