Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

1933 Himmler SS Honor Dagger

Article about: Chris you did everything that was asked of you. I have to agree with Wagriff on the overshadowing but hard to prove. This dagger is on the fence,, but it could be one that was an oversight b

Default Re: 1933 Himmler SS Honor Dagger

Chris you did everything that was asked of you. I have to agree with Wagriff on the overshadowing but hard to prove. This dagger is on the fence,, but it could be one that was an oversight by QC guy #8. Is it possible and its up to you if you carefully unscrew the tang nut to see if there is a foundry mark on the tang? You dont have to do this if you are not comfortable with it. Let us know first if you decide to go this route and one of us who is knowledgable in takedown will guide you correctly without damaging or scratching the Tang nut. I am 99% sure this dagger is good but the shadowing has me stuck. I will see if i can search for more examples of this type logo with other Himmler examples and I encourage you also to do the same. Regards Larry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1933 Himmler SS Honor Dagger
    P
    Many

I'd be happy to do that (I think), but you'll probably have to dumb it down a lot for me!

?

Hi chris very nice dagger . Be very careful if you take your grandfathers dagger apart. I have seen great daggers ruined by people taken them apart with out the right tools. If you know that your grandfather brought this back from the war you dont need to take it apart. Gary

If you're not trying to sell it, and you know your Grandfather brought it back, I agree with Gary. I would leave it alone, Chris. Certainly it's your choice if you wish take it apart.

Jay

It's difficult to believe, but could this possibly be simply a poor quality made but genuine Himmler Honor dagger?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

What are your intentions? sell it or keep it?

?

I would not have a newbie mess with this. He surely doesn't have the take-down tool, will need to grind down a 3/8" open end wrench, which will still probably marr the tang-nut and crossguard. Might even have a chip of grip fly off.
    They usually use pliers and then the tang nut is shot !

-wagner-

I would not attempt to strip it down. It is very risky.

I am fairly certain all is good and fine.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

So I won't be taking it apart. I thought it was as simple as removing the nut...and I guess that's not the case.

We're not sure what our intentions are yet. We might keep it...but if the $$ is there, we might be willing to let it go as well.

What should my next step be?

Hi Chris. If you have the time, my next step would be to start talking to family members and get some history on your grandfather. What unit was he with, when and where did he serve etc. Come on man, this was your grandfather! Think of the places he must have been. You may not know exactly where he picked up the dagger, but you can get an idea of your grandfather's route through Europe. Just a thought.

Jay

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast