Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

1936 Chained SS Dagger, or is it?

Article about: The blade has a sharp central ridge, the motto is not positioned correctly, just little things

Default Re: 1936 Chained SS Dagger, or is it?

Hi Colt the last noted dagger produced was in 1942......and for SS contract coded daggers 1940.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1936 Chained SS Dagger, or is it?
    P
    Many

Guys, just to make things clear in my mind then, the blade is genuine then yes ?

Cheers M

Hi T.H. The blade itself which we heard opinions on still just doesnt show enough detail,, but at the moment IMO there is a possibility,,, but still the fact remains from what we have seen so far that this is a parted dagger. Noticeably the blade shoulders to the lower crossguard show a poor fit. I feel until we see more photos this dagger and the Chained scabbard...... will end up as the rest of our past threads and end its tenure here as a Mismatched dagger and scabbard.
    The time frame discussed above about the Chained scabbard,,does not seem to conform to this dagger,, actually belonging and being a 1940 type chained SS.
    There are possibilities as I have said of anything happening during the period,,as the soldiers and Ncos.. were becoming officer status faster than what the strains of war could manufacture quickly enough for them to carry any dagger for that matter at that time period. Home made "period" put togethers have been mentioned by Seasoned collectors as being authentic ( anything that the soldier/ Nco could get their hands on to create hanging device for their Chained scabbard or non political dagger) . These items carried during this time "did" break or got twisted or fabric torn and needed to be replaced. The fact of the matter was where ever they were at the moment and not being close to home,, there were no dagger parts stores to found. Ammends had to be made with what ever they could find.
    So my comment describing this above should not be taken as supportive of Externs dagger. That is not the case here with his example above. This is just a general comment concerning the shortages of replacement parts. We hate it when we get a new car and the guy next to you who doesnt give a Sh*t and opens his door onto yours...these things happen with all daggers carried in wear...bumped ,bruised, dinged , bent, cracked grips, gouged..etc.
    Still this thread is wide open for discussion about Externs dagger and the period of the Chained scabbard. regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

[QUOTE=Totenhead;830598]Guys, just to make things clear in my mind then, the blade is genuine then yes ?

Cheers M[/QU

No M not an in my opinion, as pointed out in previous post's etch is poor and running off, also crossgrain almost the same as fake one's i have handled (probably the same) raised spine on blade is always a give away sorry to say but in a word "Junk" sorry
    cheers Ronnie

Cheers Ronnie K, Thats what I thought, I did post early on that I thought the blade may be a spanish repro type

Opinion from members solicited:

I know for a fact this thing has been sitting around since the 70s, so if any aspects are repro., they are dated to at least that period, whick makes me doubt comments from people who dismiss it as a "recent fake" from some washed out photos. Photos can be very deceiving and I don't know what the hell I'm doing with a camera.

So, I am going to get everything photographed in daylight, on all of the right spots, to the best of my ability, and we will then hopefully be able to cut to the quick of the matter, and perhaps arrive at, as Larry said, 50% truth.

Before I take all the "definitive photos" of this set, I would like for some opinions to be offered on whether or not I should take this thing down. If you don't own or handle M36 daggers with some degree of regularity, please don't comment on this subject.

I think that I could open it up without doing damage to the tang nut, and I really want to get a look at the tang, but is this a stupid thing to do, as inclination (and many collectors) insist? Is it really that easy to damage the nut? I think with some elbow grease, it could probably be opened right up. It hasn't been taken apart since around '74 to be sure, but I don't think it's "virgin' either.

On the scabbard, there is obvious wear to the screw on the center ramp, but the other screws appear unmolested.

I know getting a look under the crossguards and at the tang could be really helpful here, but is it a retarded thing to do given that I have nothing but book knowledge on the subject and I am without the proper tools to do it?

Were the Spanish balde fakes not from the 70s ??

Nothing that I've seen or heard about this piece has changed my opinion of it. It is not period and is a total mish-mash of various parts-both fake and a few possibly real. The story that goes with it is totally irrelevant to the facts. A person can swear up, down and upside down all they wish about something, but the facts are the facts and if they do not match to the story then it's a shame but that's the way it is.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I agree

I think its just a wind up to be honest

Larry has already said that discussion is closed on the matter before new photos are posted, Wagriff, so I'm not taking the bait.

Should I take this down or not? That's all I wish to know.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast