Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

At Auction: Ernst Kaltenbrunner SS Himmler Honor Sword

Article about: This piece was a total nightmare and caused more problems than any one person could imagine years ago. It is not an investment piece by any means and has a history that most would forget, or

Default At Auction: Ernst Kaltenbrunner SS Himmler Honor Sword

Hey everyone. I am way too poor to afford this special item but maybe some of you would be interested to know that Ernst Kaltenbrunner's SS sword is up for auction in a little under a week. Opening price is 2k US. I'm no expert but I'm assuming its legitimate as it came from the James Wieglien collection. Here are some pics.

If you can't find the auction info online, please send me a message and I will send you the info. Also, if anyone buys it, you have to give me first shot at it if you ever sell it.

-Ethan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1205 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	680373Click image for larger version. 

Views:	892 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	680374Click image for larger version. 

Views:	3147 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	680375Click image for larger version. 

Views:	96 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	680376Click image for larger version. 

Views:	89 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	680377Click image for larger version. 

Views:	230 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	680378Click image for larger version. 

Views:	293 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	680379Click image for larger version. 

Views:	225 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	680380

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

As you probably know, Kaltenbrunner was in charge of the SS secret police and Gestapo after Heydrich's assassination in Prague. He was executed at the Nuremberg Trials and was the highest ranking member of the SS tried.

Would be curious to see what the final bid was on this...please keep us posted of the outcome Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

This SS 'Kaltenbrunner' SS degen has been discussed a number of times. The consensus by veteran blade collectors, is that the blade is a fake. The etching is poorly done and the dimensions of the dedication compared to the 'field of blade' is outrageously out of proportions.
    You would think that 'they' could make the blade fit better to the hilt than shown.

It's almost a monstrosity, but then there are those who believe this one is good. Oh well.

-wagner-

?

I'm no expert on German Blades, but from what I've seen, the etching on the Himmler sword blade looks way too deep. ... It's in reverse ! ... Normally the "Himmler" dedication would surely be etched into the blade, and not around.

And the fake Damascus "swirling" ... I would expect the blade to be a proper Damascus manufacture blade at the level of a Himmler presentation item.

I don't know or collect in this arena but found the attched image which shows an original "SS" sword hilt as illustrated in the Deutsche Architektur und Kunsthandwerkausstellung (German Architecture and Artistic Handwork Exhibition) held from 22 January through 27 March 1938 at the House of German Art in München, Hauptstadt der Bewegung:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  58.2 KB

In my view there are some visual differences in style and quality between the one above and that in the original posted image set.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  28.7 KB
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

As Wags said, there are those who believe that this sword is good. But I am not one of them for a number of reasons including the small details, and the context of the inscription in contrast with the man's actual service record which has been presented on another forum. And years after the original thread(s) I finally got to see a closeup of the blade. With "monstrosity" IMO too mild of an adjective to use in describing the blade ....... but then there could be those who might like it. So here are two pictures to use in forming your own judgment. With one I've posted elsewhere, and the second one of series that I took just to make sure that what I was seeing was not bad re-imaging on my part. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	"Himmler" signature.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	680444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	"Himmler" mid-inscription-2.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	680445  

?

I don't even think the blade has been etched !

That looks cast, ... then ground down to create the "flat" image on the lettering.

(You can see the cast bubbles coming through in some of the lettering).

It's my belief that it's a combination of techniques including rotary engraving with different size cutters, file work etc. Followed up with flat black paint, or sandblasting and paint, the polishing of raised areas and/or some other means that might need a hands on examination to verify. (The 'bubbles' look like they are the result of a very small ball type cutter.) FP

Horrid!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast