Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bertram SS dagger

Article about: Hello people, after my bad experience couple of months ago with a fake Bertram (which ended in a positive way), I encountered another Bertram SS dagger. After diving in the books and compari

?

Default Bertram SS dagger

Hello people,

after my bad experience couple of months ago with a fake Bertram (which ended in a positive way),
    I encountered another Bertram SS dagger. After diving in the books and comparing with others I'm very positive this one might
    have a very good chance being a nice original piece.

Couple of things that I would like some opinions on are:

1) No districtnumber on the reverse of the lower crossguard...... might be ruined by the engraving of the SS number.

2) The scabbard; is there something wrong with it beside of the 2 screws of the lower fitting that might be replacements?

Oh yah, don't mind the strap. It's SA.

Thanks for you time.

Bertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS daggerBertram SS dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bertram SS dagger
    P
    Many

Hi Krisse, this one while authentic in parts does not give me a good feeling.

I have never ever seen any original SS dagger which has SS Runes engraved on the crossguard with the SS serial number. Serial numbers were only authorised for a short period of time and the use of the runes on documents etc at that time was not widespread, they were done in script. This bothers me.

The scabbard screws are replacements which shows that work has been done on this dagger.

For me, I would pass on it.

With any SS dagger, you don't want any question marks about it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I would agree-especially on the engraving. It's number fonts seem odd and the appearance of the Runes is unusual, to say the least-especially so Twice. Doesn't make alot of sense to duplicate them. I'm not too comfortable with the sheath finish either-it May have been redone at one time or another. All in all, there are enough red flags waving to back away from this one, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 10-14-2015 at 09:48 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for the input guys. Red flags indeed.

Cheers, Kris

Hi guys the number 178048 draws a blank, so im not sure why this number would have been picked by a forger.

Haven said that, I do agree that the crossguard has been artificially engraved. Again for me the SS runes near the number just doesn't do it.
    Personally I look for stamped rather than engraved markings.

With any numbered dagger, if it appears to have been apart imo being numbered is worthless as the parts could have been switched making it unrelated to the number.

Too many doubts should speak in volumes of this dagger. The number SS Number on the lower guard has been dremeled ... OR ...has been applied with an electric engraver. Its obvious in the Runes.

This dagger whether parted or authentic..has been depreciated and ruined ..from yet another short sighted enterpriser. I would highly suggest when it comes to these SS daggers...mightily lean on the reputable of sources to acquire whole artifacts. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I will post a Bertram later, but this is definitely not a piece you want in your collection. To make it easy, I don't see a Roman numeral on the lower reverse guard. I would want to see this blade in hand before making a decision but the blade may also be bad. Give this back immediately. If you really want a Bertram Reinhard SS you are rarely going to get a steal; instead you will get burnt trying to do this. Save up and wait for a real one that doen't seem like a deal. It may be expensive but its the only way to collect these. The biggest mistake I think, is trying to always get a deal, especially on SS daggers, and especially when you can't authenticate them yourself.

That font also struck me as being way overdone. i would pass

?

Like in love at first sight i Always take notice what my first impression/the little voice inside my head... says BEFORE i realy look into it.
    This one didnt felt right, the Gents above explaned that nicely.

Ger

?

Quote by THE RED BARON View Post
    I will post a Bertram later, but this is definitely not a piece you want in your collection. To make it easy, I don't see a Roman numeral on the lower reverse guard. I would want to see this blade in hand before making a decision but the blade may also be bad. Give this back immediately. If you really want a Bertram Reinhard SS you are rarely going to get a steal; instead you will get burnt trying to do this. Save up and wait for a real one that doen't seem like a deal. It may be expensive but its the only way to collect these. The biggest mistake I think, is trying to always get a deal, especially on SS daggers, and especially when you can't authenticate them yourself.
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't bought the dagger. In most cases, I would post here first before I do buy them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast