MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Early M33 Gottlieb Hammersfahr

Article about: As far as I can see, it may have been harshly cleaned, judging from the marks on the blade and no crosshatching visible. And, of course, the runes button has been tinkered with, but most lik

?

Default Early M33 Gottlieb Hammersfahr

Gents this one's up for your opinions,Opinions please!
    Early M33 Gottlieb HammersfahrEarly M33 Gottlieb HammersfahrEarly M33 Gottlieb HammersfahrEarly M33 Gottlieb HammersfahrEarly M33 Gottlieb HammersfahrEarly M33 Gottlieb HammersfahrEarly M33 Gottlieb Hammersfahr

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early M33 Gottlieb Hammersfahr
    P
    Many

?

Is it me or the SS button is to far slanted, I thought the uppermost rune was supposed to be at the 7 o/clock position this looks more like 8,could it have been replaced at a later date??

You're not sure of this one, Ger? How so?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

The one thing I did notice , which is why I asked the question, was that on close up of the runes button there is an oblong indentation to the right, this looks like a flat head screwdriver mark??

The over tilt is a known bit. Some vain owners who had these daggers sometimes wanted to correct the angle of the runes when the dagger was hanging on the belt. They would pop them out themselves and reset them in at a more correct for hanging angle. Some came from the factory, like you said, at a 7 'O clock angle, but this didnt always satisfy the new owner and they would redo them.
    William

?

Thanks William, a very logical reason for the alteration, but would this not mean that the studs on the rear would no longer fit the drilled holes, therefore the studs had to be removed and then glued in place?

If you could pull it carefully out, the studs on the reverse would stay intact and then a relatively simple matter to tap them gently back into place at whatever angle you decided you wanted. They're really not all that long-like a thumb tack, so it wasn't really much trouble. If you wanted to, I suppose you could use a fine nail and tap a couple of new holes where you wanted them.
    William

?

Cheers William, now let's see what Gerrit finds on this dagger, as per your question :-)

?

Thanks Gents for the reply's
    I think this is a very nice looking Hammerfahr, but.....
    I would like to have your opinions before buying this one.

Ger

?

Ger, it seems there is some doubt left in your mind, I think that the very plausible explanation offered by William on the placing of the button should be taken into consideration, for me I would still be thinking that a screwdriver had been used to pry out the button at some time, and although not impossible, I would have thought a personal pocket knife was the obvious choice to do this, especially as the 'tool mark' has been over painted or blacked out, the button is a very snug fit and there is a slight overlap of 'paint on the edges of the button,another thing I noticed was that the mark is straight on , no angle to lift the button out, yet no other damage appears to be present ,perhaps I'm being overcautious and too critical, I agree its a nice dagger but with the points I raise I would expect this to be reflected in the price and perhaps a nice bargaining chip for you, I'm afraid its a case of suck it and see

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast