Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr

Article about: Hello Gents, I would like to get others opinions on this early SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr. I recently purchased this from Stewart’s Military and have a few days of inspection to make s

Default Early SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr

Hello Gents,

I would like to get others opinions on this early SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr. I recently purchased this from Stewart’s Military and have a few days of inspection to make sure it’s a keeper.

Thanks in advance,Early SS dagger by Gottlieb HammesfahrEarly SS dagger by Gottlieb HammesfahrEarly SS dagger by Gottlieb HammesfahrEarly SS dagger by Gottlieb HammesfahrEarly SS dagger by Gottlieb HammesfahrEarly SS dagger by Gottlieb HammesfahrEarly SS dagger by Gottlieb HammesfahrEarly SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr
    Thomas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr
    P
    Many

Last edited by Larry C; 12-09-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Period piece in my opinion. Condition Exc but at $1850 not a bad buy.

Wait for Larry and/or Adrian to comment before coming to a decision!

PY.

Hello AThomas ...the dagger is all early period authentic having a 2nd motto variant type showing the "S" in Heist being the shorter type.
    1st type all the "H" legs are the same length.

The dagger is priced quite well but I am concerned of the grip being from Boker.
    The Boker grip eagle has a minute trait that no other Producer has which not all grip eagles are the same.

I May be nit picking but the idea of this grip not being a Hammesfahr leaves me a little uncomfortable. That meaning its not original to this dagger.

The lower guard to the upper scabbard fitting is not as form fitting as it should be having some space on the off ends.
    The scabbard may be a replacement either during the period ..at liberation 1945 or as of recent.

I feel the dagger having all early period fittings is still representative of the SS and and for a $1500 price it still tells a story of that dark time and the organization. Im quite sure this example like many others were within eyeshot of Heinrich Himmler during one of his speeches.

Decent early dagger with a possible misfit of the grip and scabbard.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks to all responded thus far-

Larry- I was concerned the grip was possibly replaced as well. I've seen other examples with different sig runes was my first concern along with the fit against the cross guards, as you mentioned. But at the price I got it at-was this a bad investment? I mean most of the examples I've seen were at least double that price or more. I thought since it was my first SS dagger, maybe get a decent one that I could always upgrade on. Assuming I could get my money back out of this one of course.

I would send it back,with the issues mentioned it would always bother me.Not sure what these are actually selling for but not being correct it may be harder to sell,there is a reason its half the price of a correct one,you get what you pay for ,just my take on it.

The dagger represents the SS and what it stood for ..the dagger is not whole to itself ..and as I said...all early period and I myself would want a whole example that has traveled through time the same as it came from the producer.

When fittings become compromised and replaced it takes away from the personality of the original carrier and morphs into something that never was. I pride my collection as much as possible or at least the dagger must be whole to itself. Hangers of course can be added ...but thats separate from the production of the dagger itself. The dagger is the soul of the carrier...and not a dagger with many souls.
    Im sure you know what im getting at.

As I said the dagger you shared with the community here is all early and would fit into someones budget that just wanted a piece of the SS mystique despite its lessened details. Nothing wrong with that...but go to resell this dagger ..you my get lucky and make $100 more on it ..or less than what you paid for it..once some very trained eyes begin viewing it.

Hammesfahr daggers are plentiful as they are very common.
    You can get a decent SS dagger as a whole in lesser condition for near $2500.

When you buy a dagger you are also buying into the history of why it was created. That should be the focal point of the artifact that many seem to miss and just have a dagger or knife because everyone else has one. Get it for the history

You must decide whats best for your wallet as I have already told you my thoughts on what I would do with mine.

Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you Larry- very good insight indeed. I hope I did not come off as someone who was only interested in $$. History is my focal point when I decided to get into this hobby.

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. This forum is an outstanding place for knowledge- which is half of the fun!

Not at all Thomas that thought never entered my head about you..but just generalizing what has been posted here over the years..just giving gentle reminders to stay focused on what matters most.

You are on the right track !!

Well- I guess I will get to looking for another complete, un-tampered with original dagger!

Thanks again all- and Thanks Larry for your insight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast