Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature

Article about: Hey Gents,, i am posting this for a friend who has an opportunity to acquire one of these rare finds at a good price. IMO I see no issues with it,, but the font type of the Numbering on the

Default Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature

Hey Gents,, i am posting this for a friend who has an opportunity to acquire one of these rare finds at a good price. IMO I see no issues with it,, but the font type of the Numbering on the lower crossguard leaves me in some doubt as it looks more recent than from the past..judging by the font style..............any opinions on this one?...these are the only photos! Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature   Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature  

Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature   Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature  

Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature   Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature  

Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature  
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature

I have compared the fonts with a lot of numbered SS daggers and the fonts doesnt not match any of them.
    Nun of the numbers except the 8 of course match period ones.
    We can assume for 99% that its a later added list number
    Cheers Ger
    Eickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signatureEickhorn Rohm SS dagger Partial Rohm signature
    Last edited by gerrit; 03-15-2013 at 08:58 PM.

I would not worry too much about the font matching others. I've seen these numbers engraved on daggers with an almost artistic jewelers style fashion, and then again, sometimes you see crude, almost hammered numbers on them. Some of them are so meticulously done-you can tell it was done by a methodical and skilled person, while others are all over the place, crooked,light, deep, double stamped, you name it. Personally, I would say that this one is good.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I would agree with William's observations. Very hard to say for sure on the number.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Fonts and lettertypes are very era like, its like a time fingerprint.
    i agree that there are many differences in the way they were made, stamped or engraved.
    but none are made with the typical modern age style like this one.

its just my 2 cents but i dont like it.
    Cheers Ger

SS daggers just not my area, but I would agree with Ger.
    The numbers are modern design, and there is no "blackness" in them, like they were made yesterday.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion.

Regards
    Vedran
    Last edited by Rancid66; 03-15-2013 at 10:14 PM.

?

i want to add one more thing:
    keep in mind that these are stamped fonts, not engraved ones, who leave a room for artistic handwork.
    if they are stamped crueltly or very neat, the fontstyle will be period like.....
    These fonts speak for themself......
    make up your own mind.

Ger

Unfortunately, in regards to fonts, there was no "norm or standard", as these were not all done at the factory by the same tool and die workers. Many many different hands marked these daggers with the numbers. Some were done very professionally and others were so crudely marked as to suggest an almost "done in the field" type of marking. There are, naturally, endless "number stamps and punches" sets out there and as can be seen in the photos, generally, no two markings ever seemingly match one another. Notice the "5"s for example, in the photos. They are almost all different from each other-some with large curly ends, some with thin tops, etc. Or the "2"s. Long necks, stubby necks,high tipped tails,no tails, etc. Now, if all of the numbers exactly Matched each other except One dagger, then I would question it, but when all of the pieces seen are basically different from each other, I can see no problem with it. Adding a number to a dagger generally does not increase it's value hugely-unless it is a famous or infamous person's number, of course. Other than that, it really wouldn't matter much at all if it had a number on it or not, as there are many thousands of numbered pieces out there. It wouldn't pay the time and effort for anyone to bother stamping a number onto a good dagger and taking the chance of ruining it to gain....what?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."