Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Gustav Spitzer SS dagger

Article about: Dear gents, I have found this Gustav Spitzer SS dagger. Can I have your opinion about the value on this one?

Default Gustav Spitzer SS dagger

Dear gents,

I have found this Gustav Spitzer SS dagger. Can I have your opinion about the value on this one?

Gustav Spitzer SS daggerGustav Spitzer SS daggerGustav Spitzer SS daggerGustav Spitzer SS daggerGustav Spitzer SS daggerGustav Spitzer SS daggerGustav Spitzer SS daggerGustav Spitzer SS daggerGustav Spitzer SS dagger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gustav Spitzer SS dagger   Gustav Spitzer SS dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gustav Spitzer SS dagger
    P
    Many

Hi Berlin..as far as value .. it would be best to price compare with some local dealers.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you for your advice Larry. Is in your opinion that this a real dagger?

?

Yes, this is an original dagger.
    Value would be around 2000$ imo.

Hi Berlin..I was just answering your initial question ..others may give out valuation ..but I myself do not. As Krisse has stated it appear to be good. A few details on the grip and guards prove to coexist with each other.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

At the risk of being jumped on, as SS daggers are not my thing, but I have been surprised no one has raised any questions about this dagger. So as an education exercise, let me throw in a few queries for the experts to clarify. We might all learn something.

1) starting at the hilt locking nut. My weak eyes see some nut burrs that suggest it's been disassembled at some time. That may not be a concern but should have been noted.

2) The small round SS rune badge appears oddly off positioned. As if it's leaning 15 degrees backwards. would that have passed quality control?

3) blade motto; Is it my eyes again or is the motto etching as seen in top right photo off centre? Look at the letter "e" in first and last word compared with blade centre ridge. Again, an off day with QCM?

4) The hilt ends are not matching in patina. The top one is scratched a lot while the bottom one has strange marks and colouration as if buffed (see top left photo).
    Just raising some questions the experts can answer.
    Last edited by Larry C; 05-02-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Great Observations Anderson ..I will answer #4 and leave the rest for the others to chime in.

Materials and craftmanship began to be lacking as it bordered the late period..all producers and subcontractors also began to implement cost cutting savings with purchasing cheaper materials and looking for lower bidding contractors to produce and supply.

Regards Larry