Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please

Article about: Hi all, just brought this dagger from a dealer and I have a week to take it back if I am not happy. The blade side with the makers mark has non original grind marks ( not ninety degrees to t

?

Default Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please

Hi all, just brought this dagger from a dealer and I have a week to take it back if I am not happy. The blade side with the makers mark has non original grind marks ( not ninety degrees to the blade, difficult to photograph). There is also a chip on the handle and some slight damage to the handle by the bottom crossguard.Also what do you think of the engraved number?
    Any opinions would be gratefully received, thanks, Keith
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please   Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please  

Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please   Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please  

Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please   Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please
    P
    Many

Default re: Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please

Hi Keith, here are my thoughts.

The dagger is certainly all original. All the parts and the fit looks good. The serial number looks good too and appears period applied to me. But these are subjective, as there is no set "text book" way to have these done.

There is the issue which you have raised about the blade. Clearly someone has attempted to badly clean it at some point. I think this could be improved upon, but don't do anything unless you are going to keep it.

I am not 100% certain now on this point, but I feel the scabbard might have been repainted? The paint seems a bit too bright and glossy. In hand I could tell you with much more certainty.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Keith, here are my thoughts.

The dagger is certainly all original. All the parts and the fit looks good. The serial number looks good too and appears period applied to me. But these are subjective, as there is no set "text book" way to have these done.

There is the issue which you have raised about the blade. Clearly someone has attempted to badly clean it at some point. I think this could be improved upon, but don't do anything unless you are going to keep it.

I am not 100% certain now on this point, but I feel the scabbard might have been repainted? The paint seems a bit too bright and glossy. In hand I could tell you with much more certainty.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks for the reply Ade, the side of the blade with the inscription appears to have factory grinding but the rear has been quite heavily ground, the 'spine' is now not quite level. Is it possibly a ground Rohm, if so is there any way to tell ?
    Regards, Keith

Hi Keith, from the photos I was not aware that the motto side of the blade was unbuffed, as there was not a close up of that side. Now you have said that, it does make a difference. Gottlieb Hammesfahr was a legitimate maker of the SS Rohm dedication daggers. I think yours could well be one now.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks for the replies, I will post up some better photos of the blade but it probably wont be till the weekend as I am at work during daylight and I am struggling to take photos with a flash.

Hi Keith, that is fine. Flash pics are a waste of time

Cheers, Ade.

I agree with Ade, that it is an original piece, however the scabbard is, looking at the pictures, painted, and it should be anodised.(although it wasn't strictly anodizing they did to it) If you were going to take it down, I would be interested in seeing the letters on the inside of the cross guards. apart from the handle having a "bad repair" it's fine. And although I don't disagree, before admiting it was a ground Rhome, better pictures would help, without glare if possible.

SS daggers are not rare, and it amazes me how much they fetch, but they are still nice to look at

SS daggers by Hammesfahr are prolifically faked, mainly coming from the Czech Republic.

Hakan81
    ?

Hi Kieth !
    I agree, you need better pics mate !
    IMO I believe the blade has been buffed judged on how the motto
    & MM looks. The scabbard should be anodized to conform with this early dagger, though some repainted their scabbards during the third reich period.
    The serial number is a tricky one, could be period but I
    dont know about this one, looks odd for some reason.

Cheers, Hakan
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-23-2018 at 01:46 AM.

In the case of a ground Röhm I guess the pyramid logo was placed higher towards the lower crossguard, no?

Regards, Wim

Hi Wim, the same thought crossed my mind too, but I checked here and the mark appears to be in the same place:

Dienstdolch - Infos von Sammlern für Sammler - SS Dienstdolch

Hi Hakan, welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast