Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Himmler Letter Opener

Article about: Thanks. Very interesting and compelling.

Default Himmler Letter Opener

I wanted to get some thoughts on this piece. I have no hands on experience with these. Thank you in advance for your opinions!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Himmler Letter Opener   Himmler Letter Opener  

Himmler Letter Opener   Himmler Letter Opener  

Himmler Letter Opener   Himmler Letter Opener  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Himmler Letter Opener
    P
    Many

if original,a gift from Himmler?

I believe so, from what I have read!

Excuse me but the cas is very poor for one Himmler' gift, It's cheap!

- - Updated - -

the case...

Interesting Sam and thanks for posting this here..as also... I copied this post and moved it the Art and Exotica forum for a few more eyes so see and give opinions on..as this is one of these type exotica type gifts that are highly faked..and there is not enough reference information in authenticating this particular piece. In Thomas Wittmann SS pg 669-670 reference..it shows an identical style presentation case including the the snap fasteners. I myself am not in a position to pass judgement on such an item ,,but hopeful to those who may have some experience or handling of this said item. Just because the case may look period ..should not be enough to authenticate a separate artifact. Any thoughts on this? Regards Larry

listed is the connecting link to Art and Exotica forum https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...17/#post961641
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you very much Larry. I appreciate your help.

Just to add more to this thread with a little more information for discussion......it has been deemed by Freiherr von Moellendorff, aka, Peter Stahl, alias Arthur Royster identified the Himmler letter opener as an Atwood fake as far back as 1969.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Is it acid etched?
    Looks like a box for a old flute with new inside to me.
    Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I am not sure. This is all I have. It is referenced in Arthur Hayes book and collection as well as Wittmann.

It is well documented that these first appeared at the same time the Atwood daggers, including the fake birds head SA dagger hit the market. The man was quite clever as he was the first to publish a reference book authenticating his fantasy pieces. This was in the early days of collecting and much was not known at the time.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast