MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!

Article about: With untouched pommel-nut (as I can see) and number III (Berlin) distribution marking. Only a small chip out of the handle wood on the reverse down at the lower cross guard but instead a &qu

Default This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!

With untouched pommel-nut (as I can see) and number III (Berlin) distribution marking. Only a small chip out of the handle wood on the reverse down at the lower cross guard but instead a "beauty scar" on the ridge below the eagle. It also has two dots of the original Röhm inscription left on the blade. The first is on the highest point of the "I" in "In" and the second on the lowest point on the "z" in "herzlicher". Do you think I could call it a "partial Röhm"? Hope you like it!

Please also see my post with a question on scabbards with brownish metal surface...

Brown scabbards on mm SS daggers?

Cheers!

Martin

This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!
    P
    Many

I know some of you guys here on the forum won't like the repainted scabbard, but it's fine with me. I have kind of developed a story for myself that the original SS dagger holder either messed the scabbard up and had it repainted or replaced it with a repainted SA or NSKK scabbard, maybe from his own SA dagger, as a lot of SA members transitioned into the SS.

Of course it's only a theory, but I guess it's as good as anyones. The paint on the back of it is really worn, so the scabbard has probably seen a lot of period use.

And besides, if it was repainted recently, then it would be the worst paint job ever! :-D

Cheers!

Martin

Dark Knight--I would like to see more pics of the grip on this one. From the photos, it looks a bit like it may have been restained or something.

Martin! Congratulations, i think its the same dagger i had plans to buy a some years ago. but i passed because of the scabbard.
    but the dagger looks great!

Cheers!

Quote by Title King View Post
    Dark Knight--I would like to see more pics of the grip on this one. From the photos, it looks a bit like it may have been restained or something.
    I understand what you mean, the kind of "glossy" finish. I don't think though it is repainted since you cannot see any stripes of a paintbrush or anyting like that. I honestly think it is the original finish, since the wear (where it is a Little bit duller) is on the ridge and other places that would be worn when you hold it. Also the tang nut i absolutely free of any tool marks, so hopefully it hasn't been apart.

The finish looks very similair to this Robert Klaas that I saw earlier on the forum.

Robert Klaas 1933 Dagger

All the best!

Martin

Quote by Agitatorn View Post
    Martin! Congratulations, i think its the same dagger i had plans to buy a some years ago. but i passed because of the scabbard.
    but the dagger looks great!

Cheers!
    It sure is! The dagger is really lovely whith a fantastic blade with plenty of crossgrain. The only thing that you could argue about is the scabbard, but as I wrote above, IMHO it gives you a little extra to fantasize about. And I have now also made it my mission to find the SA-dagger matching the scabbard. Good luck eh ?

I'm now also looking to get my second SS, which should be a late RZM or a M36. I see you are in Sweden as well, so if you have any to sell, send me a memo.

Martin

It's your call, but a no such type of lacquer or finish was used on these grips that would appear as such, but that's JMHO and in-hand would be dispositive of course.

Quote by Title King View Post
    It's your call, but a no such type of lacquer or finish was used on these grips that would appear as such, but that's JMHO and in-hand would be dispositive of course.
    Yeah, well, it’s already deemed a decent, correct and good dagger by two of the more experienced and active members on the forum, so I think I’ll go with that.

It would be nice to see some of your daggers. It’s always a learning experience for a newbie to look at other collectors daggers.

Martin

This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!This is my new Gottlieb Hammesfahr Ground Röhm!

How do you know I am inexperienced? No big deal, I"m just trying to avoid the issues that arise when a new collector later goes to sell one of his daggers and has trouble because of a previously undetected repair etc. None of the daggers in my collection would really add to the topic of this thread...The guys who you want looking at an SS dagger have not commented.

These pictures highlight my concerns as I have seen this before. I would like to see the top and bottom of the grip if you don't mind from under the guards. The light colored wood showing near the eagles wing, combined with the coating of some sort of lacquer really worry me the more I study it.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast