Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help Identifying SS officer dagger

Article about: This thing is in horrible condition, Im positive it was a bring back, My grandfather was a farmer and owned land in Medinah IL, he found this thing plowing one day had no idea what it is, Wh

?

Default Need help Identifying SS officer dagger

This thing is in horrible condition, Im positive it was a bring back, My grandfather was a farmer and owned land in Medinah IL, he found this thing plowing one day had no idea what it is, What we think happened is that someone brought it back and just used it as a field tool and dropped it one day. As i said he had no idea what it was restored it and gave it to me one day with some wood to make it a handle lol, wasnt till my dad was looking through a magazine did we figure out by its design that it may be an officers dagger, Long story short! I need you guys to take a look at it and the markings to maybe tell me more about it, whats left of them atleast

Need help Identifying SS officer daggerNeed help Identifying SS officer daggerNeed help Identifying SS officer daggerNeed help Identifying SS officer daggerNeed help Identifying SS officer daggerNeed help Identifying SS officer daggerNeed help Identifying SS officer dagger

Had a bit of a hard time taking the photos, if theres another place on these you usually check for markings, i garentee its not there anymore.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help Identifying SS officer dagger
    P
    Many

any sign of a motto on the blade ?

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    any sign of a motto on the blade ?
    Unfortunately no, ive look quite hard for something like that, it was buried for so long that all of its original beauty had just corroded away

Crossguard markings appear to be by Carl Eickhorn , & the lower guard also has an SS District 1 stamp (Munchen) . The guards look to be nickel (no Rust) so all in all an extreme relic condition early SS in my opinion,cheers, Paul more salty than a Siberian salt mine!
    Last edited by paulscoot; 11-11-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Where was this field?

?

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Where was this field?
    as stated in the thread (No problem, these things tend to be skimmed over time to time) Medinah Illinois, Which is exactly why i believe its a bring back, more precisely Medinah is located to the Northwest of Chicago, about 40 minutes or so, ofcourse now this area is residential and golf courses, but it used to just be open plains. If i had to guess when this dagger was dug up, id have to say it was around the 70s maybe early 80s; He used to find a buncha stuff out there, onetime he dug a sort of wheel barrel that was filled with musket barrels; ofcourse these were probably actually muskets at one point.

What a wild find! Thanks for sharing. Shame about the condition but it's in a better place than sitting underground.

Sorry, reading too fast. It's hard (but not impossible) to believe someone being that casual with a bringback SS dagger that they would use it out in the field. The part about it being lost in the field once being used I have no trouble with ;-) It's a constant struggle on a farm, people use tools, forget to pick them up, specially like trowels, and they sit out there, get disced in, etc. I have a neighbor who found his own knife that had been lost out in the field for at least five years, stainless Kershaw, still looked pretty good minus some disc marks.

whoa. Crazy find. I'm questioning the fact that someone would use it as such.

Hi Bharvey welcome to the forum..neat find and will move your thread to the SS forum.

I agree also with Paul that these guards are Eickhorn guards..and also used on Eickhorn SA daggers.
    Hard to say exactly what type of SS dagger it may have been..through all the corrosion.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast