Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original or fake? SS dagger RZM M7/36

Article about: Hello everyone! This is my first thread, so I hope you are not too strict with me. English is not my mother tongue... I have a few questions about a SS dagger that is to become the property

MC1
    ?

Wink Original or fake? SS dagger RZM M7/36

Hello everyone!

This is my first thread, so I hope you are not too strict with me. English is not my mother tongue...

I have a few questions about a SS dagger that is to become the property of our community of heirs as part of an inheritance. It was found in a safe. From the sparse tradition of family history, it is known that the deceased's father was said to have been with the Waffen SS, but I don't know, if he really was...

Now for the dagger itself:
    It looks like a very well preserved SS dagger (probably a newer model from the 1940s) with the RZM identifier M7 / 36 and the clearly recognizable etching "Meine Ehre heißt Treue" on the blade. I didn't find any punches on the crossguard. The handle is firmly and precisely connected to the knife or the crossguard, the SS pastille and the eagle are just as tight and fit in the designated places. Between the crossguard and the scabbard, a thin bump leather is attached to the blade. The knife sheath is black, slightly mat on one side (probably the front) than on the other. The fittings are each fastened with 2 screws, the handle and fittings seem to be in their original, unopened condition, and the metal plate is also in perfect condition.

Unfortunately, I cannot say anything about the materials used and would be grateful for any reasonable assumption.

I am also not sure about the market or collector value of such daggers. I would therefore also be very indebted to you through a professional assessment.

In the course of the housing dissolution by the community of heirs, I "quickly" took some pictures, after this the dagger was put back in the safe until the authenticity is determined (hopefully by you ). Then we will see, what we will do next. I hope the pictures are good enough to form an opinion, but I would also understand if you cannot make an exact assessment with them.

With kind regards and the hope for a meaningful remote diagnosis,

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original or fake? SS dagger RZM M7/36   Original or fake? SS dagger RZM M7/36  

Original or fake? SS dagger RZM M7/36   Original or fake? SS dagger RZM M7/36  

Original or fake? SS dagger RZM M7/36  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original or fake? SS dagger RZM M7/36
    P
    Many

Not an expert on these SS daggers. To me the overall condition of daggers looks poor. I did not like the look of the eagle or how it was placed in the handle. Handle looks also like plastic possible.

John

?

Its a reproduction.
    The eagle sits to high on the grip.
    I would say one of the Spanish copies.

Semper
    Fi
    Phil

Sadly, it is a reproduction.
    Many many details are incorrect.
    Sorry.

It is a total reproduction. Looks good from afar but up close its all bad. Sorry for the bad news.

Hi Matt welcome to the forum and so sorry to hear that you were misled by a story by whom ever told you.
    As commented above by Tex and Phil ..post war as recent as 20 years ago Spanish made.

There is a tag line here in this hobby : Buy the dagger and not the story. The story almost NEVER justifies authenticity and once the dagger is examined for its details ,materials used and fitting types...then ..the DAGGER gives a partial truth to the story. Maybe.

This may have been put in a safe ...but only as something to take up space.
    Since you are here now,you are welcome to journey through the many threads here in this SS section to compare your found example to the many SS dagger examples both Real and fake types.

Your dagger is valued at $35 US which seeing the grip eagle type with the slash cut wings is a dead giveaway for a Spanish reproduction.
    Have a look in a few of the threads here and compare.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry, you could have not said it better, buy the item not the story. A purchase from a vet with a bring back papers is another story. This part of hobby, collecting SS items is totally filled with mines. Even when finding a real SS dagger it could be a parts dagger. My opinion is that depending where you live, a nice war time Luger or PPK will have you sleeping better at night with regards to funds spent.

John

a nice war time Luger or PPK will have you sleeping better at night with regards to funds spent.

That's because they are not faked. Sometimes the markings or proofs are but not the entire relic.

MC1
    ?

Thank you for your quick and professional answers War Medals, AZPhil, texasuberalles, Title King and Larry C. I suspected the same, but wanted to have it confirmed again by someone who knows more about it, it would be a shame to have a real dagger without knowing it. I compared the eagle with that of original daggers and the difference is really clear. As I said, I didn't pay for it, we just found it like that and we won't sell it anyway.

Thank you again, you are awesome!

Matt

MC1
    ?

I found this old thread:

SS dagger RZM M7/36 real or replica?

Looks like its the exact same dagger...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast