Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

" Pattern " SS Honor Dagger Scabbard

Article about: lieve this thread has deteriorated from my original intent, it has perhaps made others aware that originality is not text book.

Default Re: " Pattern " SS Honor Dagger Scabbard

I paid that much 4 years ago, but this scabbard was suppoedly a pre-1945 pattern

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement " Pattern "   SS Honor Dagger Scabbard
    P
    Many

I always stay well clear of exotic items such as this so I can offer no real valid opinion in this case.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I guess if push came to shove....and you lose interest in it,,, Im sure as it is "Real", and its worth alot of money then TJ would not have a problem buying it back from you. I agree with Ade as items like this whether they are real or not are on the exotic side. Proposed designs or prototypes are a hard sell with some collectors. This is one of these items that drastically needs a trailing history of documentation. The liberating Vet who picked it up and from that point on forward. Sepp Dietrichs Honor sword has such documentation, and without it,, it would be deemed a fantasy piece. SS honor daggers are high dollar and not to be taken lightly. Hard to imagine that the scabbard was sold for $4000-5000, when overall a complete SS honor dagger runs over $60,000 if not more. A scabbard is one half of a complete dagger IMO,,, but I am wondering would a SS honor dagger without the scabbard,, would fetch $10,000??,,, I dont think so,, and I am sorry to everyone to cast any doubt on this subject but i find it hard to swallow, that a high end dagger scabbard would be sold for such a low price without documentation. Its like the story of the man standing next to the Brooklyn Bridge in New York who puts a for sale sign on the base of the bridge and selling it to an unknowing passer by for a few thousand dollars.

When you order something from a description you don’t know in advance what you are getting. But when it arrives and you have it in hand it’s better IMO not to rely on a perceived reputation if you have doubts. With the example here having some problem areas that for me would have had it back in the mail the next day if not sooner. With the red arrows showing a poor effort in quality control with inconsistent right and left borders and overall less than optimal definition. A poorly made mouthpiece, and some other questionable areas. With the same for the leather which IMO looks not quite right. And that is without getting into the current offering with a green emblem HJ knife. FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture " Pattern "   SS Honor Dagger Scabbard  

I know Paul (lakesidetrader) has a look here from time to time, I would definitely value his opinion mate, hopefully he will see this thread.

I accept the observations that have been made, it may have been for these precise shortcomings that this proposed design was never adopted.

This is an early pattern scabbard made for both SA and SS high leader daggers. On this design the fittings are an integral part of the scabbard shell and cannot be removed. The upper scabbard screws are intended to hold the throat in place, but I don't understand why there are screws in the lower fitting. They should not be there. The HL scabbards sold by Johnson have always been listed as postwar assembled.
    This design had been adopted and was used only early on until those with removable grooved fitting were produced.
    First I think you ought to scrutinize that scabbard to determine if the fittings are removable. If they are integral than the bottom screws should be removed and the holes plugged.

Thanks Cogwheel, although I dont like to clean or alter anything I have received.

Quote by greimers View Post
    I paid that much 4 years ago, but this scabbard was suppoedly a pre-1945 pattern
    It likely is a pre '45 pattern, but probably of post '45 manufacture
    - meaning anytime after 1945.

After purchasing a small, simple item from Johnson which
    turned out to be bad and not worth the trouble or
    expense of returning, I will not go back.........
    Regards,

Steve.

As long as I can remember TJ always indicated that the scabbard was assembled from pre 45 made components and assembled postwar. He is still listing the scabbard halves that had been die struck on a brass sheet probably in the 1930s. I bought 4 of those sheets about 12 years ago and made two scabbards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture " Pattern "   SS Honor Dagger Scabbard   " Pattern "   SS Honor Dagger Scabbard  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast