Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rich abr herder dagger

Article about: I’m still looking for an SS dagger to add to my collection ,I’ve been looking at this one it’s not cheap and I’d like opinions . Is it any good of should I continue looking Thanks..

Default Rich abr herder dagger

I’m still looking for an SS dagger to add to my collection ,I’ve been looking at this one it’s not cheap and I’d like opinions .
    Is it any good of should I continue looking
    Thanks..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rich  abr herder dagger   Rich  abr herder dagger  

Rich  abr herder dagger   Rich  abr herder dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rich  abr herder dagger
    P
    Many

?

This is a very nice looking SS dagger by Herder imo

overall condition is very nice but has some hairline cracks & chips in the grip.

Regards Mac 66

The dagger is all early period but appears to have that skinny type Klaas grip..which may explain why the fit on the upper guard looks a bit disheveled ..and the tang nut has been cleaned. Could be the lighting giving that effect also.

The rest of the patina looks equal.

How do the the guards look fitting to the grip,, I ask this because the photos make the grip look like its turned in the grip a little which is why the tang nut may have been opened.

Or the possibility of a previous owner releasing some of the pressure of the grip.
    Like I said overall the dagger is all early period ..with a few observations.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I’ve had the dagger in hand and it all looks undistrubed and there are no obvious signs they it’s been apart and the tang nut has no grip or spanner marks..
    The handle does have a few flakes and small cracks ,but are all the parts original to herder and would it be a good addition to my collection or should I keep looking,as I said it’s not cheap ..

Thankyou Doodah ..its an inhand inspection that is greater than photos and awkward lighting.

If its a matter of price that is making you decide to look elsewhere ..that would be your decision. I dont know the price ..so I cant say if its a reasonable offer. What is the price?
    Compare with other early types and its present condition.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry it’s not the price I’m bothered about it’s whether it’s all correct and not a mix of parts,I like the dagger and will probably purchase but as long as it’s all as it should be..
    I just don’t want problems In the distant future if I ever sell with people saying it’s got the wrong prop eagle etc..
    I like it but I’m not an expert with ss daggers .
    Thanks Geoff

I’m in the Uk but the price works out approx $3500

Take a look at your first photo take notice to the front lower guard where it meets the grip. There is a line of something that used to be there is now missing. Its why I said the grip looks to be a Klaas type ...some SS grips appeared to grow past the lower guards giving it that fat look to it. Collectors like to see that on some daggers,,,but on other daggers are tight.

My point I can open any dagger I choose without a trace of disturbance from the tang nut.
    Again these are my observations ..about the tang nut and the grip.
    The lower front grip shows some recent wood chipping in that first photo.

Who knows why or how this happened and could be for good reason or not. I feel the dagger may have been over tightened and then relieved of its pressure.

Other than what I seen I do like the dagger ..but the photos are all I have to see.

Regards Larry

Larry thanks for your wise words ,I’ll take another look at the dagger and give it another inspection
    It does look much better in hand thou..

?

Larry has made a good observation on the grip, i see what he is talking about with the dirt lines on the crossguards where the edge of the grip would has rested for many years, the grip is not the worst fit i have seen but if may have been replaced at some point in the daggers life, £2500 is steep for this dagger , i would price it at £2000 max, but thats just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast