Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Röhm SS - real or fake SS Dagger?

Article about: Hi from Russia! We had contact with you years ago. I hope you remember that. I have a question for you. I see this SS dagger. The seller says it 's a completely original dagger. We have a di

Default Röhm SS - real or fake SS Dagger?

Hi from Russia!
    We had contact with you years ago. I hope you remember that.
    I have a question for you.
    I see this SS dagger. The seller says it 's a completely original dagger. We have a discussion here regarding this. There are two opinions - original and forgery. If you can say your opinion regarding this dagger - it will be a very big help for us.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Röhm SS - real or fake SS Dagger?
    P
    Many

Hello Vlad! I'm pretty new to this game BUT I have a Gottlieb Hammesfahr ground Röhm. So , I pulled it out and compared "your" dagger to mine. I think "yours" give a quite good impression, but I am trying to understand what is going on with your crossguards? It looks like they are deteriorating in some way on the upward facing part of the lower ones and lower facing parts of the upper ones. Look at the picture of the crossguards taken apart. Now, if these were the correct material for this early dagger they should be nickel-silver and those should not deteriorate. If they are plated and what we see is some sort of lifting, then that's a problem for authenticity.

When it comes to the blade, I think the makers mark and motto looks ok, and since it is a ground Röhm you could try and look for small remnants of the original inscription on the blade for verification of authenticity. But, on the other hand, if you can't find any that doesn't mean, per se, that the blade is bad, it might just be that the grinding guy did a good job. I have two dots of my inscription left on my blade.

Now, wait for the heavy weights to chip in on this dagger, they could probably see a lot more than I saw with newbie eyes, for example tang, marking in crossguards etc. I have never (and will never) take mine apart so I simply don't know how it looks inside.

Happy New Year!

Martin

Thank you for your detailed response

Hello and Happy New year to all! For me at BEST this is a parts dagger. The grip is a replacement, possibly a newly made one. I don't like the flattened appearance around the national emblem insert, and the rune button is poorly executed, and also the fits are off to the crossguards. I believe the lower guard should be gruppe marked with a letter designation stamp not a numeral? The blade motto looks off centered to me but I don't want to say it's an outright fake (blade itself). That being said all the other points I mentioned would be enough for me to pass on it. Kindest regards.

Brian

Additional information on the roman numeral lower guard mark from this post, as pointed out by Wim in post 14. That being said I m still not liking it.

SS Dienstdolch Gottlieb Hammesfahr Solingen-Foche

Vlad ..your being Modest again..and you know this dagger is fake. Your talents proceed you.

3D Gallery of German Daggers
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Friends, thank you for your answers and kind words. Yeah, I also think this dagger is a fake. But I had hope that I was wrong and you would correct me. Unfortunately, everything stayed the way it is - it 's a fake.
    Thanks.

I wonder if it had been given the thumbs up ......would it have been sold as original? ........................Call me a cynic

So the whole damn thing is made of plastic that you made yourself??? So, an in-hand evaluation would definately reveal it's true condition then.

Then, if you know you are posting a replica, maybe it should be posted as such and in the 3D-forum, so that people don't have to waste their time evaluating it.

Martin

Quote by Dark Knight View Post
    So the whole damn thing is made of plastic that you made yourself??? So, an in-hand evaluation would definately reveal it's true condition then.

Then, if you know you are posting a replica, maybe it should be posted as such and in the 3D-forum, so that people don't have to waste their time evaluating it.

Martin
    Martin you misunderstand ...the dagger posted is not made of plastic. The dagger is just a typical parted repro. Vlad did not make it.
    Your are new to this hobby...I would suggest sometimes ..just read and sit back before commenting on something you are not sure of.

Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast