Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rookie needs help, is this fake?

Article about: Hi guys! Lately i'm reading up on SS daggers and i've come across one which has my interest. A few alarm bells are already ringing to not proceed with it, but i'd like your opinion on the au

Default Rookie needs help, is this fake?

Hi guys!
    Lately i'm reading up on SS daggers and i've come across one which has my interest. A few alarm bells are already ringing to not proceed with it, but i'd like your opinion on the authenticity of this piece. Unfortunately the seller sent me blurry photos and upon request for better ones he asked me to come over and have a look instead of sending new pictures. I really appreciate your time!

Rookie needs help, is this fake?Rookie needs help, is this fake?Rookie needs help, is this fake?Rookie needs help, is this fake?Rookie needs help, is this fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rookie needs help, is this fake?
    P
    Many

Hi Frank2.....Blurry photos would get an automatic fail on my behalf..yet there is enough to see that this whole dagger is comprised of current repro fittings and a junk blade. Dont waste your time. Welcome to the forum..but sorry for the bad news. If you get a chance during your visit..check out some of the threads here in the SS section. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for your help Larry. I'm trying to educate myself on spotting fake daggers. This forum is very helpful, but i'm miles away from really knowing when a dagger is safe to buy. Can you be a bit more specific to what gives this dagger away as a fake? I can learn a lot from your input i guess.

As said, I already didn't have a good feeling about the seller. I think he deliberately tries to sabotage an authenticity check by sending crap photo's. Hoping that some ignorant sole (like me ) will come along to buy it.

Mostly a poor fit in the grip and crossguard area..the blade as I stated above ,,, M7 /36 is the RZM code for EF Horster..who was never awarded an SS Contract..so they never made SS Daggers.

RZM M7 Makers Code List - Plus SS Dienstdolch Contract Codes

EF Horster produced many varied types of edged weapons and none of them were SS. Other than the non political daggers Horster produced...they were awarded to produce the political daggers for these political formations ..SA NSKK HJ and NPEA

The poorly applied RZM number that can be found in most souvenir shops on these massed produced trinkets are widely identifiable. This dagger too..falls within the same criteria..except that the con- artist with this dagger decided to poorly scoop out some wood and place a junk eagle into it. The wood is not original to the dagger..the con-artist knows this also. A poor attempt to hide his mistakes through blurry photos...is the first reason why I said in my 2nd post..is I would automatically fail this dagger..because of photo quality.

as i said also in my 2nd post please read through the threads that are attributed to SS Daggers...i Promise you..you will not leave here without learning something . Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

On the dutch ''Marktplaats" good daggers rarely come up for sale. You can make an nice advertisement in which you ask for a good original dagger, but the daggers that people offer for sale without asking are just 99% junk. I have come across 3 original daggers form 2 sellers(posted 2 of those here aswel) and that is about 1 dagger a year if you are lucky. I look almost every day and the people that own good daggers want good money.

It's is sad that this dagger is posted on the site over and over, i reported the seller twice already.

Regards, Job

Thanks for answering my questions guys! Guilty, found this one on marktplaats. The seller is quite irritated when i told him i question the authenticity/frankly think its fake. Well, back browsing the web for a different one i guess!

They all get irritated when they find out they are wrong..and wont admit it. They place the blame on you because they dont want to look bad.

That seller what dos he study?
    Is he a researcher of this particular artifact?
    or is he just a Huckster trying to make a few dollars..and now the truth is out about the dagger?

You done the right thing Frank2..you told him your thoughts and walked away..there are better examples to be had.

What was his asking price ..which with SS daggers will start around $2000 US

Regards Larry

The price is 1000 euros. Although I know its to cheap to be true, silently I was hoping that this could be a lucky break. Of course i'm not amazed that it's not.

The guy says he's a collector for 35 years and buys and sells from all over the world. He did display some knowledge about this type of dagger so he is not 100% ignorant on this matter. So he doesn't even deserve my benefit of doubt that he might really thinks that the dagger is real. He knows what he is selling. Well, off searching again

Quote by frankfrank View Post
    The price is 1000 euros. Although I know its too cheap to be true, He knows what he is selling.
    Those final words " He Knows what hes selling " ... sums up and forces the hand of the card player. Sadly and so many times true. Their integrity should dictate to their so called " experience" and know right from wrong.

Frank2 a few reputable dealers to start with in your search..but thankfully you brought this dagger here and to the attention of the readers who also will learn and study from themselves..using your posted dagger as a tool to compare to other Horster SS Fakes.
    Check these guys out: Regards Larry

www.medmilitaria.com
    Lakesidetrader | German WWII Daggers & Medals
    Wittmann Antique Militaria
    We Buy & Sell German WWII Daggers, Medals & More!

I don't know what the laws are where you are, but trying to get this much money for a pitifully fake item is blatant fraud. It's not much different than showing you pics of a good dagger, and then sending you a fake, or meeting you somewhere to buy it and then robbing you at knifepoint. The end result is the same, you have been fleeced of 1000 Euros.

Accept his offer to meet, and arrange for it to be on a bridge... then "accidentally" drop the dagger in the water, you would be doing the world a favor.

As far as your wish to "educate myself on spotting fake daggers", keep cruising this site you speak of, I think you will be an expert in a very short time

When you get bored with that, look at places like this, even if you are only dreaming... you will be dreaming about real items, and learning what they look like.

https://www.lakesidetrader.com/German/WWII/Dagger/SS/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast