Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Special German SS sword located in Spain

Article about: Hello I have found a very special sword. It is located, here in Spain, where I live. It is on sale. There is a letter of LTC. Thomas Johnson sayind that it is original. Greetings Jose Pascua

siroco
    ?

Default Re: Special German SS sword located in Spain

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Is the officer's SS number engraved anywhere on the sword? I personally like the piece. I have handled a few of the period SS Damascas degen and this has the right look. I believe it looks to be in this condition as it went directly from either the officer or his family to a collector. There were no middle men like young children whodecided to play sword fight with it.

Hello.

The sword is authentic. As everybody can see, almost mint. If it looks like knew, is because it is in this state. I have red that some users say that it is a fake. Well, it is not. And what is that about a fake damascus? I have been collecting swords for more than 30 years and I have never seen a "fake damascus".

The sword came to Spain from Germany. The first owner was an important (and very well known) German Medal collector, who had it hanging in his wall since 1948. Another important Spanish medal collector bought it from him in the 80's.

2. # ADS

siroco
    ?

Quote by 85ronnies View Post
    Jose, does the letter give you any information of who the degen was presented to? I should imagine a degen of this callibre would have a lot of history behind it and that the same history would have been passed on with the degen, if the story is true as this does seem in extraordinary condition, also have you mailed johnston's site for any info as this may help you before you spend the the type of cash this degen would demand hope it turns out good for you ,
    cheer's Ronnie
    Hello Ronie.

Yes, I am in contact with them. I have sent them the same photos that you are watching here. They are the best experts in German Militaria and I want their opinion.

What I know at the moment is that, unlike other "experts" in this forum who know for sure that the sword is a fake, they are going to investigate the item and they have requested me a copy of the letter of LTC. Johnson. i will try to send it to them this week. It has to be located for the owner of the sword.

Jose

I too believe this sword is a postwar reproduction, but if you insist that it's original why not contact Tom Johnson and see what he has to say ?

And for the record it looks nothing like the damascus birthday swords.

Cheers
    Jonathan

siroco
    ?

Quote by Jonathan View Post
    I too believe this sword is a postwar reproduction, but if you insist that it's original why not contact Tom Johnson and see what he has to say ?

And for the record it looks nothing like the damascus birthday swords.

Cheers
    Jonathan
    Hello Jonathan

Perhaps yo udon't know that he died few years ago. He had cancer, I've been told. As you can read above, I am in contact with the fundation. They have seen the same photos than you and have requested me more information.

Mmmm I think Tom would be quite concerned to hear this - I spoke with him about 3 weeks ago

I guess you must be thinking about Bob Waitts who passed away about 10 years ago and who owned quite a number of the birthday swords - but not all of them

Save your time, the sword is bogus

?

hi jose , paul weyersberg along with two or three other makers were known to have produced - post war - acid etched " damascus " dagger blades also , but i agree with dimas in that the hilt and grip look period ,

al

Quote by siroco View Post
    What I know at the moment is that, unlike other "experts" in this forum who know for sure that the sword is a fake, they are going to investigate the item and they have requested me a copy of the letter of LTC. Johnson.
    Jose
    I'm not sure what is meant by sweeping comments like that. I believe you posted it on the forum to receive comments? yes?

And if the comments received were not what you had hoped, perhaps you should not have posted such a controversial piece

I think that has been established that this is not a Damascus blade, the workmanship is not there especially if you know how a Damascus blade is made. I have shown this thread to a very very knowledgeable and good friend of mine, and i do not wish to disclose his name, but he assured me that "we" the "experts you speak of, are NOT WRONG in our assumptions.

You also say that you have never seen a fake Damascus blade in 30 years? you are very lucky my friend. I hope that this turns out well for the new "owner" however I can see it ending in tears

Whilst knowing nothing about damascus sword blades, i have built sheath knives with damascus blades, and owned shotguns with damascus barrels.

I have to agree with Al that this blade appears to be acid etched. For me the blade is nowhere near the quality of the 'real' damascus forging process. This was my initial thought on first viewing this thread, but was quickly tempered when i read the replies of fellow forum members who's knowledge in TR items is exemplary.So, thanks Al for giving me the courage to voice my opinions on this rare item.

Regards, Ned.

Quote by Dimas View Post
    From a first look the portepee is fake, what is real IMO is a crossguard and wooden handle,
    Dimas correct me if I am wrong (which i probably will be) But these swords should not be stripped down too easily? and that handle? tell me, the wire, it should cross over in a figure of eight? which it does not.too many areas on concern. TJ or not, I do not claim to be his friend, but we know each other, and I respect anything that man says.

All in all, as I said many posts back ................................ Its Fake! END OF

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Whilst knowing nothing about damascus sword blades, i have built sheath knives with damascus blades, and owned shotguns with damascus barrels.

I have to agree with Al that this blade appears to be acid etched. For me the blade is nowhere near the quality of the 'real' damascus forging process. This was my initial thought on first viewing this thread, but was quickly tempered when i read the replies of fellow forum members who's knowledge in TR items is exemplary.So, thanks Al for giving me the courage to voice my opinions on this rare item.

Regards, Ned.
    hi ned , and thanks for your comments please don`t hold back if you have an opinion. no one knows everything , and no one is right all the time ! we are fortunate to have some fantastically knowledgable members on this forum and we are all learning something new here all the time , and everyone`s input is valued . it all adds to the discussions and makes them enjoyable and fun. ned , enjoy the forum and i look forward to your future posts cheers al

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast