Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?

Article about: Dear all! I saw this dagger in an antique store when visiting Prague recently and asked for some pictures of it from the dealer. It was priced at 3800 Euros. I have kind of already made up m

Default SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?

Dear all!

I saw this dagger in an antique store when visiting Prague recently and asked for some pictures of it from the dealer. It was priced at 3800 Euros. I have kind of already made up my mind on if I think it is the real deal or a fake (or at least a parts dagger) but I'd love to hear everyones opinions on it.

When looking at it it had no markings on blade or cross guard.

Sorry for the low-res pictures, those are the ones I got.

Regards,

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?   SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?  

SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?   SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?  

SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?   SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?  

SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS 1936 Type I chained SS - real deal or not?
    P
    Many

?

Whats in Praque should stay in Praque

Run.....

Ger

So, what I see in this dagger and what makes me think it is a parts dagger (at least) is first of all the extremely poor fit between handle to crossguards, new handle? There seems to be a big "step" down from the handle to both crossguards. The handle also looks to new, except for the SS runes (that really seems to have seen some battle), so inconsistent wear? The SS Kulturzeichen stamp also looks "funny" and crude. And then lastly, the SS runes on the links look awfully lean and narrow to me.

I would really appreciate if some of the "Old Eagles" on the forum could give a newbie a hint if I am on the right or wrong track in my review of this dagger.

Cheers!

Martin

Quote by Dark Knight View Post
    So, what I see in this dagger and what makes me think it is a parts dagger (at least) is first of all the extremely poor fit between handle to crossguards, new handle? There seems to be a big "step" down from the handle to both crossguards. The handle also looks to new, except for the SS runes (that really seems to have seen some battle), so inconsistent wear? The SS Kulturzeichen stamp also looks "funny" and crude. And then lastly, the SS runes on the links look awfully lean and narrow to me.

Cheers!

Martin
    I feel you answered your own questions
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Whats in Praque should stay in Praque

Run.....

Ger
    Of the same opinion, this one in my rear view mirror would be quickly disappearing from sight. My sense of it from the horrible quality pictures is that it might be one of the so-called "East Bloc Fakes". Best Regards, Fred

Thanks for your input guys! As a newbie it feels good when someone with a couple of years under the belt could point you in the general direction.

?

To many issues with this dagger and scabbard.
    The skulls on the chainlinks are a well known fake patern.
    And as already stated, the grip iw hiddiously executed.
    Run away from this piece.