Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Chain Dagger Opinions Please

Article about: Hello All! I have been a forum member for a number of years and learned a great deal from you all. Could you please provide your opinion of the dagger. I think is a mis-match. The blade did

Hist_Buff
    ?

Default SS Chain Dagger Opinions Please

Hello All! I have been a forum member for a number of years and learned a great deal from you all. Could you please provide your opinion of the dagger. I think is a mis-match. The blade did not start in a SS Chain dagger scabbard, perhaps the enlisted SS soldier did not upgrade his entire rig when he became an officer?

What is a value for this piece as I am considering it for my collection?

Thanks!

SS Chain Dagger Opinions PleaseSS Chain Dagger Opinions PleaseSS Chain Dagger Opinions PleaseSS Chain Dagger Opinions PleaseSS Chain Dagger Opinions PleaseSS Chain Dagger Opinions PleaseSS Chain Dagger Opinions Please

2. # ADS

Hi historybuff ... You must have done much reading since 2009 and this being your first post I think you pretty much concluded the answer to your question. Yes it is mismatched in a few places. There are 2 different top link connectors to the Wotan knot that are not consistent. Can you provide photos of the scabbard center ramp? I think you may have an initial production type but want to be sure of the center ramp. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Im in front of a bigger screen now..and there is more going on with this dagger..than what I have first seen. This is a total mismatch in Chained Scabbard production years..also the grip wood is early..along with the crossguards ( in the present lighting ) and married to a late middle period blade. If I was searching for a Chained SS...I would make sure.... thoroughly......that what Im spending my money on..is going to be consistent of the production period it was produced. There are 4 variant Chain types..and Im seeing at least 3 of them altogether on the chain assembly. My thoughts are to keep studying..and wait for a better example....BTW.....Welcome to the forum . Regards Larry

A good read on the 4 chain types found here. Chained SS Study of the 4 Chain types
    Last edited by Larry C; 05-26-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hist_Buff
    ?

Thanks for your feedback Larry!

I agree with Larry...a put together.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."