Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Chained Dagger for comments.

Article about: Hi All I have an SS chained dagger in my collection and know absolutely nothing about them other than what I have read on various websites. I would welcome any comments based on the photogra

Default SS Chained Dagger for comments.

Hi All
    I have an SS chained dagger in my collection and know absolutely nothing about them other than what I have read on various websites.
    I would welcome any comments based on the photographs below.
    If ive missed any photos of specific parts then please ask and I will take some more and post .
    The chain is non magnetic and is missing the 2 end links which attach it to the Wotanknot.
    Scabbard is painted steel.
    No maker marks visible on the blade.

I have already received some excellent information from a current member of this forum who recommended I pop along here for more info.

SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Chained Dagger for comments.
    P
    Many

Hi Steve welcome to the forum. There is not much more that I can add which has already been said here on this thread at the GDC forum which I support also their comments .

SS Chained Dagger for opinion - GermanDaggers.com

Yet this thread is open for more comments. WR

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Someone did choose to put eyes in the one skull tabs ...which is a little odd looking.

SS Chained Dagger for comments.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry

I was directed here by a member of both forums so thought I'd post to get as much info as possible.

Thanks again.

Great forum by the way.

So much to learn, so little time !

Spoon feed in Increments Steve..its the only way the knowledge can be digested ,,taste good and attained.

Competing Firms as there was more than one that have produced or assembled these daggers. The Chained SS dagger IMO was a special Honor bestowed upon the recipients who served 3 consecutive years in the SS beginning in 1933.

As Tom Wittmann has stated in his massive SS dagger reference that know one really knows the answer to the reason why these daggers were produced unmarked..except a matter of RZM control and anonymity.

Further study reveals at least a partial identification of the blade forge marking found on the Blades tang. This does not point to Identity..but it does at least give credence to authenticity. The shallow etch of the motto is another ID found on CH SS examples.

History has shown also that the SS man receiving this honorary status supposedly was given the choice of purchasing the whole ensemble or just the Chained Scabbard placing his own SS em dagger within it.
    I personally tend to shy away from producer marked CH SS examples because it is hard to prove if they were married together after the war by returning Vets to bring home a keepsake as back then the liberating forces knew no SS combinations to exist ..until readers today over the last 20 years have studied 4 varied types.

As Krisse has stated yours has been recently deemed as a Type B1..which is end period of initial production ,very desirable among SS collectors that these daggers like the Type A were produced with early materials and fittings.

Not to undermine dealers who sell these producer marked blades in scabbards..that there are instances that the liberating Vet did find a whole producer marked example in whole. Again no one knows the reason why ..and is assumed by the SS dagger community that these were put together by the SS man himself .. AND..by the returning Vet.

Most collectors ( Purists like myself ) like the unmarked types knowing that this is the original intent of the SS High command to produce the unmarked examples. Nothing wrong with marked blades as they are consistent with the time period by materials and craftmanship.
    Photo study of these daggers being worn by the SS officer ..just might show the type of crossguard or grip by a careful and studious eye.

If possible I would like to see a close up of the Skull tab with the eyes implanted in them..this is not a production type procedure..but just curious to see it anyway

Great early dagger Steve during the height of the SS existence and their total power of the SA and the German Society. Scary piece of History for sure.

Best Regards Larry

Once again, Fantastic information Larry, thank you.

Ive taken a few more photos.

The link with the eyes on is one detail I hadn't noticed and upon closer inspection I think it is a build up of cleaning polish residue ?

SS Chained Dagger for comments. SS Chained Dagger for comments. SS Chained Dagger for comments. SS Chained Dagger for comments.SS Chained Dagger for comments. SS Chained Dagger for comments. SS Chained Dagger for comments.

?

Quote by srellis View Post
    Thanks Larry

I was directed here by a member of both forums so thought I'd post to get as much info as possible.

Thanks again.

Great forum by the way.
    Hi Steve, nice to see you've accepted my invitation here.
    You are very welcome and you will not regret it. :-)

Quote by KRISSE View Post
    Hi Steve, nice to see you've accepted my invitation here.
    You are very welcome and you will not regret it. :-)
    Thank you Kris, its a great site full of very knowledgeable people.

I am considering selling this dagger as it is outside my area of interest where collecting is concerned.

I would welcome any advice regarding what sort of price I should be asking.

Thanks in advance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast