Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Dagger

Article about: I recently found this dagger in a deceased family members belongings and would like some information about it. According to my family it was given to my uncle, an American soldier, in 1946 b

Default SS Dagger

I recently found this dagger in a deceased family members belongings and would like some information about it. According to my family it was given to my uncle, an American soldier, in 1946 by a German solidier at a POW camp in Belgium. I was told the German gave it to my uncle in appreciation of his fair treatment of the man while being held at the camp. I don't have any details beyond that. Thanks in advance for any help offered.SS DaggerSS DaggerSS DaggerSS DaggerSS Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger
    P
    Many

Ridiculous aged fake....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Welcome to the forum. Agree with William. Not a fan of it. Das Spain SS circa 1970?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Dagger   SS Dagger  

SS Dagger   SS Dagger  

SS Dagger   SS Dagger  

Last edited by Rossi; 07-01-2016 at 05:40 PM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Apart from the obvious faults, there is a huge red flag in the family 'story'. On what planet would a POW not be searched and relieved of such an offensive weapon?

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Apart from the obvious faults, there is a huge red flag in the family 'story'. On what planet would a POW not be searched and relieved of such an offensive weapon?
    Agreed. These SS dress daggers were never worn in battle by the SS, nor would they be on a POW in a camp. I remember Oma telling me about some defecting SS soldiers trying to actually hide their uniforms, clothes, gear and identification in her home and neighbor's homes towards the war's very end so they could attempt to go undetected and blend with civilians. They knew hell was coming for them. Her Mom threw the vermin's shit out the window once they left the house.
    Last edited by Rossi; 07-01-2016 at 04:14 PM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

A fake huh? That's a shame. A collector online quoted me an offer of $2,500 despite the slight crack on the handle. He didn't seem concerned about it being a fake. As far as the story goes, that's what I was told. Your argument does make sense and I had the same thought. Is it possible that once the German soldier was freed his possessions would have been returned to him and then he may have given it to my uncle? I can't say. The timeline and his service during WW2 all add up, however. He met my aunt there after all. Thanks for the responses guy.

First off if it was real the price quote would have been 80k either the collector online was trying to rip you off or didn't know his $#@ from a hole in the ground. The real collector knows from 20ft away this is a Spanish copy from the 70's. Also weapons or nazi items would have not been returned to the member after his release, they were mostly destroyed. You have a copy with a made up romantic story, it happens a lot.

I must concur with the others. This is a poor copy of the SS honor dagger. Your blade has fake Damascus while genuine examples were true Damascus. No SS soldier would possess one of these as they wee awarded only to high ranking SS officers.
    There is no way a released POW would ever be given a weapon. They returned with their ID books and possibly their uniform with Nazi symbols removed. Take the offer as to a collector, this piece is worthless They were made in Spain in the 1970's.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I know Ralph loathes this ...Forgive me... Better study and understanding of period items is essential for any collector... Review threads and glean some wisdom... G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Dagger  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thanks for the responses. I can only go by what I've been told. I have no idea where he would have gotten a Spanish made replica from the 70's. My aunt told me she played with it as a child, which would have been in the early 60's. So it's a mystery in that regard. I wonder why the collector made an offer for something that's "worthless" according to the members here? Either way, looks like a dud. Bummer! No big deal. Thanks again, everyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast