Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Dagger

Article about: Hello Friends, I came across this dagger near me and I know nothing about them but I know you guys do. So would you be so kind as to inspect the pictures and share with me what you see? I re

Default SS Dagger

Hello Friends,

I came across this dagger near me and I know nothing about them but I know you guys do. So would you be so kind as to inspect the pictures and share with me what you see? I really enjoy coming up with new items and learning about them from all of you.

Thanks,

William

SS DaggerSS DaggerSS DaggerSS DaggerSS DaggerSS Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger
    P
    Many

What I can see without the photos being able to enlarge is a knarled and chewed up tang nut. 1st red flag

The grip Im quite certain is recent made which for a mid period transitional I would expect a little more craftmanship for an SS dagger
    cant say for sure if the scabbard has been repainted or not.

Close ups of :
    scabbard
    grip both sides
    motto and RZM number

without photo enlargement I would not waste my time seeking to acquire this dagger.
    Scabbard is missing carrying ring.
    Im seeing 2 different types of guards which makes sense why the tang nut is the way it is.

More photos or pass on it.
    Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry, I have doubts about it also as I look at other posts and the price he is asking. It is always a pleasure to hear from the experts on this forum.

William

?

An absolute repop without a single doubt.

Quote by JRMeda View Post
    An absolute repop without a single doubt.
    Indeed, bro'
    Regards Gerd

I wrote to the seller and expressed the concern by all of you. He wanted to know what people's concerns were so I sent your replies. Below is what he wrote to me.

So essentially what your friends are saying is that they can't tell without better photos. They say the tang nut is chewed up. That's true and indicates that it was taken apart at some point by someone who wasn't very careful. I didn't say it was in perfect condition (and I didn't price it as such either), but that certainly doesn't make it a reproduction. They say the grip is recent made. I've had it myself for over 35 years. It is not recent made. They think the scabbard has been repainted. It has not. It is quite obviously the original paint. They note that the scabbard is missing the carrying ring. That is true and I clearly stated that in the ad. Again, I didn't say it was perfect (and it's priced accordingly), but that doesn't make it a reproduction. They say they're seeing two types of guards? I have no clue what they're talking about there. Conclusion ... they haven't said anything definitively except that they really can't tell whether it's a reproduction or not, and they're basically just deciding in they're own minds that it is a reproduction without any real proof. So here's my suggestion ... don't buy it. I'll just sell it to someone else who is more objective. Thanks.

If you compare this dagger in question with one of a period RZM Klaas, you'll find the answer by yourself.
    A few points
    Motto is to far down the blade and i haven't seen any period grip, with these steep (?) contours.
    Both is not known on period daggers.
    If you handle these kind of daggers over decades,you'll see the difference between good and bad. And here are a few of these guys.

Btw take a look at Meda Militaria or ibuyworldwar2.com
    Darren has one nice RZM Klaas on his website.
    Last edited by Larry C; 12-12-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Here is a pic. Guess you'll see what i mean.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Dagger  

When the seller says he doesnt know what what Guards are within this hobby ..thats says much in volumes he is very unstudied.

Like I always say..it takes only one detail with SS daggers ..and with this one he will sell it to someone who is more Objective? ....... The seller means someone who frequents ebay and will pay thousands of dollars for something with a swastika that came from Pakistan.

Alter meaning : sell it to a sheep
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

William

You will be wise to pass this one by,, I would put all my money on the assessment of Larry, Kreta, JRMeda, and the others here.. It is wise to have something go through a proper vetting prior to spending hard earned cash.. The seller indicates he has had the dagger for 35 years.. Well if you do the math 35 years ago was 1983,, a far stretch from WW2, so in the broad area of defining a "recent" grip, then yes it is recent to the 1980's or 70's not to the original manufacturing period 1933-1945..

Unfortunately the ill informed and uneducated will still purchase this lemon and be stuck with it for another "35" years...

Hang tough, you'll find what you're looking for...

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast