Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this SS Dagger Authentic or Fake???

Article about: Hi! I'm looking for a little help identifying an SS dagger I'm looking to purchase from an individual as fake or authentic. I'm only looking for opinions, not a rock solid "yes it is au

?

Default Is this SS Dagger Authentic or Fake???

Hi! I'm looking for a little help identifying an SS dagger I'm looking to purchase from an individual as fake or authentic. I'm only looking for opinions, not a rock solid "yes it is authentic", or "no it's a fake". I realize these photos are limited in detail, but perhaps some of you more savvy collectors can tell simply based on these shots.

Any help is appreciated. I intend to buy one of the books mentioned on this and other forums (probably Wittmann's), but if this dagger is authentic I don't want to miss the opportunity as long as his price is reasonable (researching that now as well).

Thanks in advance for the help!

dzyner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this SS Dagger Authentic or Fake???   Is this SS Dagger Authentic or Fake???  

Is this SS Dagger Authentic or Fake???   Is this SS Dagger Authentic or Fake???  

Is this SS Dagger Authentic or Fake???  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this SS Dagger Authentic or Fake???
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Is this SS Dagger Authentic or Fake???

the blade and handle look like repro ?

to me it looks like a good dagger

no line on the crossgards as seen on repro`s
    can you please post a picture of the dagger next to the scabbert

and can you ask if you may see the tang underneed the black grip
    should be marked underneed

cheers
    j

Hi dzyner, I can tell you that the dagger is fake. In fact, it is a complete fantasty put together item which is historically incorrect.

The blade has the Ernst Rohm dedication. ("In Herzlicher Freundshaft, Ernst Rohm") These blades came out in 1934. Approx. 10,000 were issued. After Rohm was murdered in July 1934, it was ordered that these inscriptions had to be removed. Some complied with this order, others didn't, but the vast majority of the SS did.

The rest of the dagger is based upon the SS Honour dagger which was not even introduced until 1936. The scabbard fittings are incorrect in design. The blades in these daggers was a special high quality Damascus steel with gilded SS inscription.

Cheers, Ade.

omg did i get tricked by a spanish fake again
    i should drink more coffee before posting

thanks for the info

cheers j

schnellmann
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi dzyner, I can tell you that the dagger is fake. In fact, it is a complete fantasty put together item which is historically incorrect.

The blade has the Ernst Rohm dedication. ("In Herzlicher Freundshaft, Ernst Rohm") These blades came out in 1934. Approx. 10,000 were issued. After Rohm was murdered in July 1934, it was ordered that these inscriptions had to be removed. Some complied with this order, others didn't, but the vast majority of the SS did.

The rest of the dagger is based upon the SS Honour dagger which was not even introduced until 1936. The scabbard fittings are incorrect in design. The blades in these daggers was a special high quality Damascus steel with gilded SS inscription.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade - What about the scabbard, itself? I have never seen a pebbled scabbard on a SS dagger, have you?

I have seen leather covered scabbards on both SS and SA daggers and I think this was a personal thing with the SA and not allowed at all by the SS (unless on Honor Daggers), who were VERY strict in what was allowed with severe penalties for those who violated the "rules". Sepp Dietrich was one example when he wore a beautiful sword that Himmler did not authorize and had to remove it from future wear. That is my opinion.

Mark

Leather covered scabbards were authorised for the honour dagger.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I'm glad I posted this. I definitely need to become better educated about this stuff. I will admit though, the Rohm inscription threw up a red flag for me too. Even if these daggers did carry the inscription, to find one with it completely in tact would be next to impossible. I have an SA dagger with the inscription filed almost completely off, but still some remnants left. I should post pics of that dagger to be sure it's original (hope it is).

Thanks again!
    dzyner

Hi dzyner, SS daggers with the Rohm dedication intact are indeed very rare, but they do turn up on occasion.

Please start another thread as I would really like to see your SA Rohm.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast