Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Dagger Numbered

Article about: Ado, I like the dagger itself,but the condition is not exactly optimum. The blade is rough in appearance as is the scabbard finish.From the pictures,it's hard to tell if it's ever been clean

Default Re: SS Dagger Numbered

Ado, I like the dagger itself,but the condition is not exactly optimum. The blade is rough in appearance as is the scabbard finish.From the pictures,it's hard to tell if it's ever been cleaned or anything else-the crossgraining isn't visible. The seller rates the scabbard at 75% or better on the lacquer,but I think this is a hopeful overestimate. The membership number does,indeed,have an odd style of engraving that I haven't seen before,but this,of course,doesn't mean anything. They were all engraved by numerous people-some crudely and some elaborately,so it's fine,of course. At 4 digits,it's a fairly low number too,so I wonder what kind of info you might turn up if you research him. A solid piece And the grip is excellent-a big feature,in my opinion. Value-wise? I hate to put a definite price on anything,as the research on the owner may yet turn up some interesting and price enhancing stuff,but in the meantime,as it sits...I wouldn't pay more than 2-2 1/2 grand for it,if I were buying it. William

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger Numbered
    P
    Many

ado
    ?

Thank you William

The dagger is a ground Rohm, hence the rather sketchy looking makers mark, much of it has suffered due to the grind.

Cheers, Ade.

I agree that the number on the crossguard is not like any period work I have ever seen. All examples I have ever seen have stamped in numbers. The dagger appears fine but I have serious doubts that the number is original to the dagger.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Not to start an argument,but,over the years,I've seen SS numbered pieces that looked like a farmer stamped each number one by one with a hammer and chisel-some being so crooked and poorly stamped that they had double stampings,and on the other side of the coin,I've seen what were apparently jeweler engraved beautiful Gothic numbers too,so these odd numbers don't Necessarily mean they're bad. They well Could be,but a person would almost need to have the piece in hand and examine the aging of the numbers under magnification,etc to get a better idea of what to think of them. It's still not a bad ground Rohm Boker,(I'd like it better if it had a nicer scabbard and,maybe,a decent vertical hanger)but it would be a shame if some fool Did go and screw it up by adding bogus markings! William

Numbering can be very subjective. If the number is to someone well known extra special care needs to be exercised. If the number cannot be researched, the odds are it will be OK.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2