Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS dagger opinion - Early Boker

Article about: Hello ladies and gents, A good friend who likes to visit swap meets and antique auctions just picked this dagger up locally. Third Reich daggers are not an area of knowledge for me other tha

Lot 3 - again, please click on image to magnify view
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS dagger opinion - Early Boker   SS dagger opinion - Early Boker  

SS dagger opinion - Early Boker   SS dagger opinion - Early Boker  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dagger opinion - Early Boker
    P
    Many

It looks like the blade may have been sharpened at one time or another in it's life-a common thing seen after the war by the GI's and such as well as the couple of edge nicks too. Otherwise, the wood fit of the grip is excellent-as expected on Bokers and the blade still has signs of crossgraining. As said before, the anodized sheath was painted but when is anyone's guess. Since it was sharpened, it may well have been the GI that painted it, but hard to say. The plier marks on the top nut show that it's been taken apart but that's no surprise either. Probably the source of the grip cracking. Bottom line being, it's not a museum piece, but I'm not seeing anything hugely critical wrong about it. It's still a bring-back Boker and a desirable piece.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Upon better photos..this dagger has been opened quite a few times and seems a bit unsettling to me..giving the impression this grip has been worked on or has been totally added to the dagger.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

They cannot all be mint; unmessed with and untouched condition has a lot going for it, jmo. This Boker recently came out of the weeds, very tired but never in a collection. Nice that it has the "trademark" Boker in-house crossguards, they turn up at the tips like an elves feet!

SS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early BokerSS dagger opinion - Early Boker

Nice daggers anyway gents.
    Going back to the dagger originally posted Its original, no question about that. The only thing I would echo is the respray of the scabbard being quite likely. The on going problem we're seeing these days is dating resprays, its anyones guess really whether it is pre, during or post war. Best way to tell is by checking inner edge to see if it has worn or thinned. If there are any dents, look to see if you can see the chip were the main impact was because if it was painted after the incident it will be painted over. Look for spidering or hairing, its something you cannot imitate.

Boker grips are made of a serously hard ebony. Great because they dont shrink right guys? Well not always because when they do shrink they tend to chip rather than crack. What concerns me is what I think our top guy Larry has spotted is a crack in the grip. I beleave Larrys on the right track here people, and what we are looking at is a grip repair, most likely the filler has started to leave the wood.

Not saying im right, but its just my thoughts at this time. Eitherway its still a nice dagger, just depends how particular you wish to be about it really.

Thanks guys for the additional comments. The owner of this dagger is following the thread closely and is very appreciative of the knowledgeable feedback being posted.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

The crack is pretty negligible IMO. To my eyes the scabbard paint is recent. Still one I wouldn't mind having in my collection. Love those Boker lines.

Thank you Gast..for your Boker photos..thats what I expect to see in a Boker grip..including contour shape and finish.

@ Mattty..thanks for the compliment..but there are other top gents here with a keen eye..including yourself. Team work keeps us all sharp .

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

True comments Larry, we have allot of top guys here, different views makes us all different persons.

Thankyou for posting the dagger Tony, I hope the new owner is happy. Overall, it is still in very collectible condition, these early 33's are well demanded - not a bad thing to own in any condition really.

matty

Quote by Gastvrijheid View Post
    They cannot all be mint; unmessed with and untouched condition has a lot going for it, jmo. This Boker recently came out of the weeds, very tired but never in a collection. Nice that it has the "trademark" Boker in-house crossguards, they turn up at the tips like an elves feet
    Nice worn dagger!
    The grip fits perfect into these guards.Nothing beats a Böker.
    Here is one of my Bökers,the grip fits like a glove.
    Regards,
    Gerd
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS dagger opinion - Early Boker   SS dagger opinion - Early Boker  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast