Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS dagger opinions

Article about: Need help with this dagger, RZM 941/39 Some things I've noticed is the rzm numbering looks a little crude, could be the photo? The rzm marking appears to be located on the blade where it sho

Default SS dagger opinions

Need help with this dagger, RZM 941/39
    Some things I've noticed is the rzm numbering looks a little crude, could be the photo?
    The rzm marking appears to be located on the blade where it should be,
    Wide gap between the handle and guard.
    These photos aren't great and I apologize if the water marks are in the way.
    From what Ive posted photo wise, would appreciate some opinions

Thanks
    MikeSS dagger opinionsSS dagger opinionsSS dagger opinionsSS dagger opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dagger opinions
    P
    Many

Hello. IMO a postwar copy. The eickhorn logo (squirrel) is incomplete and poorly executed. The handle looks plastic and thin. Just all bad I'm afraid. Kindest regards.

Brian

SS dagger opinions

Transitional logo examples from germandaggers.com gallery

Hi Brian
    Thanks for the link, as far as the logo being incomplete, I think it is other than the squirrel not being "colored" in, but yes maybe poorly executed, hard for me to tell from the small pics and my limited knowledge.

I don't own the dagger just trying to learn

Heres a pic of the same logo from the reference you linked

Thanks for the help
    MikeSS dagger opinions

Hello Mike. Interesting I ve overlooked that section of the reference gallery. I'm surprised it wasn't listed along with the transitional maker logos.. but admittedly it looks very close to the one you posted. The blade motto looks nice and crisp and darkened by comparison. I must admit if this is a period accepted Eickhorn maker mark variant the dagger stands a much better chance than my initial knee jerk response. I would still seek better pictures not only of the blade both motto and MM but the scabbard as well. I look forward to hearing more opinions. Kindest regards.

Brian

SS dagger opinionsSS dagger opinions

Hi Brian
    Heres one more photo, scabbard maybe repainted?
    Ill see if I can get some better pics

Thanks again

MikeSS dagger opinions

Hello Mike. I half to say the condition of the parts all match up. The scabbard was possibly touched up or repainted but it's condition is consistent with the rest of the dagger, and the hanger certainly looks period and shows honest age. I ve looked for other Eickhorn RZM pieces and the OP example lines up well (grip, eagle, rune button) etc. The one thing that's difficult to find is one (the blade) with the single squirrel logo so perhaps it was a short run or perhaps contracted out to another smaller manufacturer? Best regards.

Brian

SS dagger opinionsSS dagger opinionsSS dagger opinions

Different RZM period Eickhorn grips compared to OP's here's a non squirrel marked blade sold by LST for comparison of parts.

RZM 941/39 Carl Eickhorn SS Dagger | Lakesidetrader

Another example with the single squirrel logo for comparison from German war booty. It may just be the pictures you were provided with but the GWB example looks to have a much deeper rzm and logo etch not damming in itself just an observation.

SS dagger opinions

Transitional Model-1933 SS Dagger by "RZM 941/39" by Eickhorn
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 01-31-2019 at 01:06 AM.

One more photo of the hanger markingsSS dagger opinions

I think the hanger is fine. After looking for and searching through many posts, and comparing to other period daggers I half to say I believe the piece to be original; possibly with a repainted scabbard? but maybe not given it's overall condition/state of preservation. I would love to see better pictures of the MM to be certain. But I gotta flip my point of view. Please wait for others to chime in, but I gotta say I think I was wrong initially. A good lesson none the less. Kindest regards.

Brian

Also to include that the template did change to a newer one after so many acid etch applications..there will be some slight variances in detail in crispness and character.
    The etching plates by the producer or contractor all had slight deviations ..and you will notice that as seen in this thread with the squirrels detail.

The transference of the image from the etch plate to the special paper overlay also may cause a minute variance being applied to the blade before the acid applied.

Long story short : every application will have a minute change and can be seen in the edges of the etch. None of those edges will show the same detail if seen under a loop. Depends who was applying the etch and how careful they were ...timing is everything also.

Some of the greater etches will show minimal strains in the lettering and be almost perfect. A close eye will be able to see it under a loop.

You done well Brian and yes its a learning experience and takes time.
    Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you both for the detailed explanations.
    So Larry, do you think this is an original based on the photos provided?

Thanks again
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast