Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?

Article about: Hello Everyone! I am new the forums and as most people come here I strive for some information! Recently I acquired an SS dagger from my grandfathers attic. I have no correlation to why my g

Default SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?

Hello Everyone!

I am new the forums and as most people come here I strive for some information! Recently I acquired an SS dagger from my grandfathers attic. I have no correlation to why my grandfather would have this but he did have some collectibles in his house. He did make some frequent trips to Poland but I'm not sure as to when it was (before or after war). This dagger was found a in a trunk and I believe it might be real but I better get some advice from some real professionals and that's why I'm here. What I can tell you is this: The dagger's scabbard is magnetic on the top and bottom portion's but not on the ring, the blade has horizontal lines going across it when shined in the light, the marking on the dagger might be acid etched because it feels deep and I would think that laser engraved wouldn't look like that but that's only my thoughts, when held up to the light each part of the dagger looks like a solid fit and I can't see light between any of the wood. I'm saying this based on the research I have done on the internet so any comments are appreciated. Thanks!
    SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I am by no means an expert but I don't see any red flags with this one.
    Best wait for other opinions as well.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for the quick reply sir.

Upon first looks i am leaning towards liking it. I want to hear what the others have to say. (edit: i put fake mistakenly thinking of a different post)

Hi Roz..welcome to the forum..I agree with Ralph also as I see no issues except the photos are not the greatest..and the tang nut showing the dagger was opened quite a few times for my liking..yet it shows some Herder traits.

One of the first things I look for in a dagger is if its been opened which may lead to it being messed with or parts swapped out. In this case..I am optimistic about the dagger although the most important part being the motto is blurred somewhat. Your analysis on the magnetic fittings are correct as these were nickel over steel.

A close up of what your term ( Horizontal lines ) may be helpful with a better photo. This can mean 2 things
    1. Its either runner marks on the blade running parallel with the blade spine ..or
    2. this could be crossgraining when holding the tip of the blade pointing upward ..the crosgraining will appear to be going left to right.
    photos of that would help greatly

It appears to be decent and authentic...and when I say "appears " ...that only means from what can be seen by the quality of the photos. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nice - Blade has a few blemishes, but it looks
    a decent one.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the input, i will try to get more photos but i won't have them till next week. Any idea what this is worth if it is authetic?

A nice early Herder with nickel guards. The grip is in very nice shape and sports a nice nickel eagle and an excellent runes roundel as well. Crossguard has the "I" District stamping for the Munich District. The blade could be spiffed up abit, but best to leave it to the experts to do rather than attempt it yourself. Some collectors might even leave it in as-found condition-I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Richard Herder made some very decent daggers and this one is no exception. For an idea as to what it's worth, you should try looking through a few of the bigger sellers inventories such as Lakesidetrader and Wittmann's, but I can say that personally, I wouldn't take much under 3K for it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Here is some updated photos I have taken of the tang nut and the blade that has some of the horizontal lines going across that I see.SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?SS Dagger Rich ABR Herder - Authentic?

Hi Roz thanks for the additional pics it appears you still have some decent crossgrain remaining..which makes the dagger hold its value. Looking at the dagger motto..you can see the crossgrain running vertically from edge to edge. Nice to see that

It appears also you have some black burnishing left in the motto lettering..which is very desirable among SS collectors. Its rare to see any burnishing left on SS daggers due to over cleaning. You have a nice example from a prominent family owned company. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast