Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Dagger RZM M7/36 genuine or reproduction? (picture heavy)

Article about: This is my first post on this wonderful forum and I think it will be the first of many. Would anyone be able to tell me from these photographs if this SS dagger is likely to be authentic or

Default SS Dagger RZM M7/36 genuine or reproduction? (picture heavy)

This is my first post on this wonderful forum and I think it will be the first of many.
    Would anyone be able to tell me from these photographs if this SS dagger is likely to be authentic or fake?

Last edited by Mancunian; 10-18-2011 at 02:45 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger RZM M7/36 genuine or reproduction? (picture heavy)
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Dagger RZM M7/36 genuine or reproduction? (picture heavy)

I believe it to be a repro - or at best, possibly made up of parts - but I'm doubting
    this the more I look at it.

The grip eagle is bad, and also these daggers did not have a buffer pad at the
    crossguard - both look unusual as well: the small 'grooves' are not deep
    enough. The SS roundel is set incorrectly, and the blade inscription
    looks off center. As well, the blade has a very high crest
    through the center.

Any one else see the same things.........?

BTW: Hi, and welcome to the Forum.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 10-18-2011 at 03:10 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I agree. Welcome to the forum!

?

Well , not being a true exponent of SS daggers, i can only say what i see which may be totally incorrect, but here goes, im slightly worried about two or three things, 1/ the silver ware appears to have been polished to the extent that in a couple of places the base metal is showing, 2/ the scabbard looks to have been repainted at some stage,3/ the blade shows no scabbard marks at all and the cross graining looks a little heavy also i was under the impression that there was no leather buffer on SS blades of this type, but as stated i may well be wrong on all points, the handle i cannot pass comment on other than the eagle looks dirty in the wrong places

Thank you for the feedback. The old boy who gave it me along with a few other knives thought it was genuine so I will not tell him any different as he would probably feel embarrassed. But I am pleased you have answered my question even though it was not the answer I was hoping for, but unfortunately the one I was expecting as I too noticed the roundel was not a perfect fit. I thought it may have been knocked and slightly dislodged during the years of storage but if there are other unusual and non standard features too it must be fake.

I am glad you are not tearing your hair out as I type this, and were expecting
    these answers. SS daggers go for a couple of thousand dollars, and it
    would be a real let-down to know that a lot of good money
    may have been wasted.

If it was a gift, then you have nothing to worry over.

You could post the other knives if you know
    or think they are military.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    You could post the other knives if you know
    Yes, I will post them up tomorrow when I can take photographs during daylight. The photos above were taken at night using a flash and I think photos taken in natural light will give a more realistic image. There are various Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe, SA and HJ knives and a Herman Göring hunting knife.

?

Unfortunately all of the knives youve mentioned are heavily faked but photos will determine authenticity, as for the H.G hunting knife, that would be a pretty rare bird if real as i think there was only one true knife made for him and that only came to light in 1974 in Argentina

I just wanted to add that the RZM CODE M/36 is a code that was used on repros and the 1976 book "REPRODUCTION RECOGNITION" by frederick stephens list this one as a modern repro.The fakers were at it from before 1976 so be careful on these daggers.Also no German dagger would be of such poor quality as this piece .The handle,eagle and the ss button are of poor quality and i would check on this forum as other members will have posted original pieces.Carl

?

Hello and welcome to the forum. As stated above, the item is a replica. The adler is poor and if you look closely at the etching on the blade, it isn't even straight. Compare the first "e" in MEINE and the last "e" in TREUE and you will notice that they are way out of line (as would anybody trying to pass this off as an original would be!). Seriously though, I'm glad that you didn't spend any money on it.

Regards,

Carl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast