Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ss dagger unmarked opinion

Article about: Hi members i have the opportunity to buy an SS dagger The price is very low but the dagger is really strange No markings at all ,it looks old ,looks original but no motto no maker nothing at

Default ss dagger unmarked opinion

Hi members
    i have the opportunity to buy an SS dagger
    The price is very low
    but the dagger is really strange
    No markings at all ,it looks old ,looks original but no motto no maker
    nothing at all
    i really need your help !
    it could be my first SS dagger and i don't want to make any mistakes
    here are the pictures
    what would be the value of this dagger ?
    Best regards
    and thank you for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion  ss dagger unmarked opinion 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss dagger unmarked opinion
    P
    Many

Hi DarkM..welcome to the forum...it is hard to say..if the blade itself is SS..as this might have been a factory leftover un-etched. it is also possible that it was a put together just after the war..or even recently for that matter. The rest of the dagger appears to be OK..but a tang marking may identify..and point in the direction of a forger..who produced blade blanks....which also might point in the direction of an actual producer themselves.

In that respect..which means..that tang markings are common....and 9 times out of 10 they are identifiable... along with that internal markings are useful inside the guards for identification.

Lastly...for future reference..please save any images to your own computer and post them here...any images coming from a image host website will disappear in time..and the thread will be come useless. I will save these images..and post them for you. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I'm not liking the tang hole that is visible on the crossguard. This should not be able to be seen. This blade was either a totally ground Rohm(which I doubt, as the ridge shows no waviness) or else it has been mated with the rest of this piece post war. A Model 36 blade in a Model 33 dagger? It could, theoretically, have simply been taken apart and loosely reassembled, but the tang nut shows no signs of tampering. The bottom crossguard is also very odd looking-in some photos it appears to be very curved and in some it looks absolutely flat. I would not have this one in my collection.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Parts dagger, with the blade being replaced with an unmarked post was expample?

Hi all,
    Thank you for your inputs guys!thank to the welcome too!
    i'm on a budget dagger and i'm not able to put 1000 + in a nice ss dagger at the moment .
    it will be a filler.
    i wanted to be sure that it wasn't a fake one !

So if i understand well ,
    all is good exept the fact that it is a part dagger!
    and the main concern is the blade and the assembling between the blade and the tang.

i ask to the seller some more pictures of the other side of the blade and an overall picture of the dagger

I didn't know that ss blades without any markings and moto did exist
    is it possible that markings were erased? what should i look for ?
    the blade looks clean on the picture .
    does someone has picture of another ss dagger with no markings at all?
    what should i look for to know that the blade is post war?

about the story (i know don't buy the story but the items rule)
    the seller told me it came from a vet's son in germany

best regards and again thank you

Hi DarkM.. More photos would be best at this time .. We try not to give any bad information by guessing authenticity ... But at your convenience as specified above more photos would be helpful
    Buy the item !! Not the story as a story can not authenticate anything unless there is factual proof it was a vet bring back .. Trust me we heard them all here... But our focus now is to bring some truth to your dagger by any markings.

The other scenario is it could of been a post war put together of period parts. Which there is truth in that also . Lets not just believe a story but study the dagger closer Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Im afraid it wouldn't be for me. U'd be better off buying a decent SA, at least you'd have the 'everything for germany' motto.

When you buy an SS dagger you pay for the motto imo. What exactly are you paying for on this example?

The lower guard is not numbered either. Sorry not good in my book, you will struggle to sell a model 33' without this feature alone.

best matty
    Last edited by matty01; 04-22-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote by darkmyst View Post
    i'm on a budget dagger and i'm not able to put 1000 + in a nice ss dagger at the moment .
    Mate, you won't find even a rough SS dagger for under $2500, for a 'nice' dagger you'd be looking at $3000-3500 and up. Even a decent early SA will cost $1200 these days.

hi again guys
    thank you for your advises
    i'm still waiting for other pictures but i doubt the actual owner will be ok to part the dagger to look for inside markings :'(
    about the price it is working like an auction and the last price is around 350 $ which is a good opportunity (even for a part dagger ).
    as you said i think i would better buy an Sa dagger in better shape.
    will post other pictures when i got it
    regards