Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger

Article about: What a beauty,needs to be in a museum.Congrats.

Default SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger

I just fetched this chained dagger from Europe . I think it is a good piece but I will be appreciated if you write your opinions about it here.
    This Model is early period piece.The crossguards and tang nut are nickel-plated type.Beautiful chain assy of the 2X Type,with a nostril devider, hasn't been cleaned and finds in untouched condition.Blade has no sharpening .
    What are your scores about this SS chained DAGGER?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger   SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger  

SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger   SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger  

SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger   SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger  

SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger
    P
    Many

?

Default re: SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger

Any makers marks on the reverse of the blade, your only showing one side

Quote by davejb View Post
    There is no any makers mark on the reverse of the blade. It is completely blank.but there is only a mark on the grip of the blade . Is there anybody know something about which is the maker of this blade with this flower mark?
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936...my new dagger  

Quote by davejb View Post
    Hi Dave,

As far as I'm aware, the 1936 pattern dagger did not have a makers mark on the blade. I would be very interested to know what the flower impression on the tang signifies though.

Gentrex, I am no expert on these things at all, just a keen interest starting to take hold, trying to learn! I would imagine that this dagger fits comfortably into the top bracket of these daggers...It is a beauty!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hi Ned, Yes i believe you are right about makers names, but starting in 1936 the marks were replaced with the RZM logo and code number of the individual producer, it was after 1934 that the RZM mark shared its position with the manufacturers trademark, edged weapons for non-party formations didnt have RZM marks because they werent considered as branches of the NSDAP, at least thats what my references say, cheers Dave

I agree mate, it'll be interesting what Ade's got to say, as I'm getting a little confused (as per!)

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

With the RZM came price controls which directly applies to the M 1933 daggers to the end of production. With the M 1936, the RZM was not involved, and the SS itself was able to charge a roughly (from memory) 40% extra premium (profit) for the addition of a chain and center mount. And being “unbranded” they were also able to change makers at will if they chose to do so, for economic or other reasons. FP

PS: The Type “X” daggers are a scarce early variant of the M 1936, and I’m not trying to detract from the piece. But from my personal perspective - I see some indicators that some work has been done to clean it up (presumably) to make it more presentable. FP

Hi, it is a nice original so called type three or X type dagger as FP refers to it. It is interesting to see the die flaw on the swastika. I have one the same on my "Dr Lolling" dagger.

To explain a bit about the 1936 SS dagger. These were only worn by Officers or early SS members. You have to remember that times were still hard in the mid 1930's and the vast majority of the SS men were just part timers. As a result it was possible for an SS man to purchase just a chained scabbard alone, into which he could place his earlier maker marked 1933 pattern dagger. But if you purchased the 1936 pattern dagger complete, the blade of the dagger would be plain and unmarked.

You can see some maker marked tangs here, which can be found on SA's etc:

Dienstdolch - Infos von Sammlern fr Sammler - Schmiedemarken

I don't recognise the one shown sorry. But I know I have seen it before.

As FP says, it has certainly been cleaned, but it does not detract. Overall a nice presentable dagger which many collectors would be pleased to own. Well done.

Cheers, Ade.

The subject of the M 1936 scabbards being sold separately was not mentioned in the original directive, and it has been discussed back and forth for years. A few years ago on another forum, a smaller but fairly well known U.S. dealer said that they were for sale separately in the SS price list - positioned almost exactly in the middle between the complete M 1933 and the complete M 1936 daggers for just the scabbard by itself. But when he was asked for a copy of the price list page with that information he never responded which ended the discussion.

My copy does not show the scabbard separately (but I would imagine that they are time sensitive). I know that myself and some others would like to have that information for our records. Does anybody have an actual period price list that they could post with that information? If so, we would be very grateful if that information could be shared. FP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast