Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936: repro chain?

Article about: I have been told genuine Klass SS dagger but with repro chain? opinions? Should I have the chain removed?

rmz
    ?

Default SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936: repro chain?

I have been told genuine Klass SS dagger but with repro chain? opinions? Should I have the chain removed?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936: repro chain?   SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936: repro chain?  

SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936: repro chain?   SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936: repro chain?  

SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936: repro chain?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936: repro chain?
    P
    Many

schnellmann
    ?

Default re: SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936: repro chain?

I would leave it on until (and IF) you locate a genuine chain. But that is just MY opinion, I sure others will tell you to remove it at once!

The chain is certainly a fake. You were given good advice.

The dagger itself has also been apart as evidenced by the lower crossguard being back to front. The SS distribution mark "I" should be at the back.

Removing the fake chain; the problem is, it does not end there. You would then need to find a hanger ring and get it soldered in place, plus possibly have to repaint the scabbard. Maybe sell the scabbard for what it is and buy another replacement, I don't know. The dagger will always suffer in value for being messed with.

Cheers, Ade.

rmz
    ?

Thank you both..it's appreciated

Quote by schnellmann View Post
    I would leave it on until (and IF) you locate a genuine chain. But that is just MY opinion, I sure others will tell you to remove it at once!
    The problem here is, the dagger is a 1933 pattern. Not a 1936: these daggers were totally unmakred.

However, having said that, it is not unknown to find Veteran acquired '33 pattern daggers in chained scabbards. It was possible for SS men who were entitled to wear a chained dagger, and who already owned a 33 pattern, to purchase just a scabbard alone. But many collectors are wary of maker marked daggers in chained scabbards. The problem is, how do you know when the two items came together? If the age and wear match, who knows? When parting with several thousand £ or $, "textbook" rules.

Cheers, Ade.

rmz
    ?

Default long time but

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The problem here is, the dagger is a 1933 pattern. Not a 1936: these daggers were totally unmakred.

However, having said that, it is not unknown to find Veteran acquired '33 pattern daggers in chained scabbards. It was possible for SS men who were entitled to wear a chained dagger, and who already owned a 33 pattern, to purchase just a scabbard alone. But many collectors are wary of maker marked daggers in chained scabbards. The problem is, how do you know when the two items came together? If the age and wear match, who knows? When parting with several thousand £ or $, "textbook" rules.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi thought I would return just to say..didn't replace the chain and am very pleased that I didn't. Was having a few financial needs and contacted a very good and prominent dealer. I sent the dagger to him and the chain turned out to be right as rain (I think type 3) It was sold. I am grateful to him and also to the fellows who suggested not removbing the chain. thanks

You sure the dealer knows what he's looking at and isn't just trying to turn a quick profit?

All that Glitters is not Gold...and I would invite your dealer contact to show us or teach us about the use of an OLC snap clip welded onto the wotans knot. The Kulturzeichen does not match what this dagger is supposed to represent a Type B1..which is 2nd in line to an initial production example. This chain has been messed with and appears to be a current repro.
    For a Chained SS that is supposed to represent an early production type..it is poorly fitted together.

The center ramp appeared new unless the direct flash gives it that appearance..and the scabbard throat has been messed with or removed / replaced at one time. I would not give this dagger a thumbs up unless..there could be clearer photos and to see the internal markings of this supposed early type. The thread is open to discussion and i would invite your dealer associate to comment about his thoughts on this CH SS and what makes it "Right as Rain". Thats why these forums exist..is to discuss what may be possible or questionable. You have my full support and interested in other opinions. Regards Larry

Chained SS Study of the 4 Chain types
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Please let us know which dealer you sold this to, as I would very much wish to avoid someone who says and apparently Believes such foolish things...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

rmz
    ?

Hi...guess I should not have posted...sorry don't want to create any issues. This was over 4 years ago and I truly trusted and believed it was good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast