Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

SS Prototype Dagger by Alcoso

Article about: I took notice to the top of the crossguard as it has some wear and stain issues..Im wondering if it was wrapped up with the hangrs twisted around it and possibly gotten wet during the Vet ac

Default SS Prototype Dagger by Alcoso

This Rare SS prototype dagger is 1 of 2 known daggers from this maker in existence. The one being shown on this forum comes from the Late John Pepera collection...and then into the hands of dealer Craig Gottlieb
    The other Alcoso example belonged to the Late advanced collector Robert Waites.
    In Tom Wittmans SS reference pgs 643-650..examines both examples with noticeable differences.
    The Producer Paul Muller of Dachau..also produced 2 separate examples located on pgs 651-655 of the same reference.

The photos below would best describe what I cannot..as this dagger is making its appearance in detail for the first time on this WRF forum and on the GDC.

The statement below is from C.G. who acquired this rare dagger back in 2008. Presently this dagger resides in a private collection.

"This dagger was the property of recently deceased collector John Pepera, and it was my honor to have purchased it along with another dealer, many years ago. I was sworn to secrecy until he passed away, and I am now free to share these wonderful photos with the collecting community. This is THE SS Prototype that is known in the annals of dagger collecting history. I cannot describe this dagger to the incredible nature of its design and construction. So I'll let the photos do the talking. And yes, the dagger was sold in 2008.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Prototype Dagger by Alcoso   SS Prototype Dagger by Alcoso  

SS Prototype Dagger by Alcoso   SS Prototype Dagger by Alcoso  

SS Prototype Dagger by Alcoso  
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-07-2014 at 02:01 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Prototype Dagger by Alcoso
    P
    Many

An amazing one of a kind piece, for sure! To my eyes, it is not as esthetically attractive as the Model 33, but it's impressive all on it's own. I can only imagine what the selling price must have been.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It is quite attractive..with noticeable differences on the crossguard and scabbards on both examples...a must see in Wittmanns book.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Craig Gottlieb is not on my fan base, but I do like this example.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    Craig Gottlieb is not on my fan base, but I do like this example.

Eric
    Im just glad Craig shot the photos he did. No reference shows this dagger in detail like what is seen here.

?

Wow! Now that's a beauty! I can agree William, i think the m33s look much better but this is a sight on its own! I can also agree with Eric, I'm not a big fan of Craig also, he's has been rude both times i've talked to him. Anyways this is such a cool dagger, thanks Larry for sharing!
    Ryan

Simply awesome.

A beautiful dagger beyond the grasp of most collectors.
    Thanks for posting.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Larry, just out of curiosity, what are the references proving its authenticity? I am not questioning it, as the previous and current owners are much more versed in this field than I am, I am just curious as to how people were able to figure out it was a genuine, period prototype.

Hi Doug..a great and warranted question and glad to see you on your toes...This example is documented in Thomas Wittmanns SS as surfacing at a Florida gunshow in 1975...belonging to the Late John Pepera..and the 2nd example..surfacing at a Motel buy in California in 1995..then acquired by the Late Robert Waites.
    What tends to be distressing among collectors is seeing said.."Prototype" daggers..as possible put togethers as some "seem" to be. I can safely say that through the eyes of seasoned collectors..and those who have seen and known both Robert and John..that the craftmanship and construction of these 2 types are near identical except for a few noticeable attributes. These 2 daggers IMO as seen in Wittmanns SS reference..are just that. Period construction and materials used are equal to each other. This dagger is not something someone just picked through a box of parts and assembled..everything fits perfectly and the aesthetic appeal is all matching. The attention to detail throughout the whole dagger..on both examples..can not be put togethers. Through the keenest eyes of past seasoned collectors and until present..none can find fault.
    These 2 daggers did not appear together but 20 yrs apart...In Tom Johnsons Reference Vol. 3 also outlines this find. This particular example has had repairs done to the grip sigrunne,..as was being used by a former owners young son to throw into a tree..which caused the SS rune to come out. From that point on..it was put away until surfacing in 1975.
    I encourage reading both Johnson and Wittmans references concerning these near twins. We also must remember that the word protoype means just that!!....which are not quite finished and not factory line produced..so yes there will be flaws and some questions concerning certain parts through the dagger as looking unfinished or not looking right at all. These were to submitted to Himmler himself..but were not made .."ready to wear".
    The conversation will never be known between the Alcoso firm and Himmler..or possibly the dagger never made it to Himmlers desk. ...but im sure if there were a conversation..and after that..there could of been adjustments in appeal that had to be made. I for one am not a fan of the rear crossguard with those "crisscross lines'...but that is one example IMO of an area that seems to be unfinished. Anything could of been put there..which Im sure that this quality dagger if Okayed by Himmler would of had something there representative of the SS. I cant see a quality made dagger with "mundane crisscross lines on the back..as I said..it was a "prototype dagger"..which in meaning is.. "a model or release of a product built to test a concept or process or to act as a thing to be replicated or learned from".
    This IMO was not a finished and ready to produce dagger....or was it ready..and never made it to production because the ensuing war..that had to put the dagger son back burner..and the production of firearms was more of a necessity at that time. Hitlers "Valhalla" and thousand year Reich had to wait until the war was over before anymore thoughts of an SS dagger was to be produced for his Nordic idea.

All in all..these 2 types are equal in each other in construction,,craftmanship..and idea!. Regards Larry

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast