Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tom Wittmann's SS Dagger prices

Article about: SS Ringman you hit nail on head. I too am an old collector back in 92/93 I sold everything in a fit of rage after my wife leave me. Why because I feel German militaria will not keep me in fo

I remember 09.. Terrible time indeed. Anything collectable went in the toilet not to mention half of my income compared to previous years.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tom Wittmann's  SS Dagger prices
    P
    Many

Sounds like a good time to buy... if anyone had money. Some people do, and they can really capitalize on a slump like that.

The majority didn't do well at all for a couple of years. On the positive side, my silver coins certainly skyrocketed..

..and now they are in the toilet again.. And so the pendulum swings once more..

Damn, sounds like a good time to buy, if only I had some money...

Definitely the time to buy metals imo.. And I know I'm off the point of the thread. I apologize.

This old timer sez to me; I remember when land was a dollar an acre... and nobody had a dollar.

Great Depression.

Very good analogy for a lot of people in 09 Lar..

Thx ;-)

WARNING!!! Early morning coffee induced verbal diarrhea warning!

I lost a lot of money in the form of house equity between '07 and '11 when I finally sold the place, I'm still thankful every day that I got out of it... I started moving out to the boondocks in '07, but couldn't let go of the house because it was full of stuff, and prices were falling, but they kept falling year after year. I walked away with $20k, and what the realtor didn't know was that I was about ready to walk away with nothing... but still I was losing $10k a year in equity, and had been every year since '07.

I think we all keep missing the memo... haven't you heard, we're in the midst of an economic recovery, right?

It's strange the conflicting info you see about values of this and that.

I had a guy offer me some super high end NSKK groupings this summer ($7500), and somehow a guy texting him back ended up in my inbox (?), he was saying the market really ***** right now... But then look at 98k rifles, $2k for an ok but totally common variation vet bring back, or $16k for a double decal SS (saw this on a site a month or so ago), HJ knives around $700, seems to me the market is totally over inflated, on stuff that I would buy anyway.

I agree with the guy earlier (really earlier in 2008) who said even an SS dagger would keep him happy for 10 minutes... I look for stuff, get it, anticipate the mailman for days, get it, and stash it away. I don't have my stuff on open display. I got two hats in November, wanted one so bad... finally got one, not the one I wanted, then of course the one I wanted popped up (collector's variation on Murphy's Law) so I got it too, now I'm trying to cover a $1200 CC bill and I don't even look at the hats. I just look on the net for the next item...

Although I think I'm good for now. I got real lucky in November, made some killer scores. I'm good. There's so much junk out there, I can figure out there's nothing I want on any given day in a few minutes. Sadly (or thankfully for my bank account), the stuff on the Classifieds here is quite frequently not that great. My short list for blades to round out my collection would be an SA dagger, a HJ knife, but prices are HIGH and keep climbing, regardless of how "in the toilet" people say the market is.

Once in a while a so so SA pops up here for review, jaded collectors say it's ok but don't pay more than $400 tops. Has anyone bought a nice SA for $400 lately? And I don't mean one with obvious issues either. I think the advanced collectors say things like this because they bought something similar for $300 back in the day, I did. I bought a beautiful SA, and Luft, and Heer from the same guy, P.08 trade actually. The P.08 was only worth about as much as the three daggers back then, and I was into the three for less than $1000 bucks.

Truth is prices on this stuff are climbing, still climbing, and will keep going up into the future. Only time prices are "in the toilet" is when you are the seller.

Same guy I traded the three daggers for the P.08, all the sudden he's really hooked on TR pistols, wants a few more to round out his collection, a Walther P.38, PP or PPk, a Mauser HSc, so he wants to trade me a real no bull$hit bringback Falschrimjager for a handful of pistol that use to go for around $300 a pop. I reluctantly traded him, thinking I'm getting smoked on a possibly bs piece the whole time, but since we're collector buddies I did it anyway. He said I was coming out ahead and that it was worth $1500. Next show that came up, I took it with me and got rid of it as quick as I could. I felt lucky to get the money out of it. I didn't even want to believe that a helmet like that could be worth $1500. What's it worth now, $8k?

So, minor rises and falls in the market, but overall steadily climbing for decades.

If you're a buyer, the sellers stuff is gold and prices are high.

If you're a seller, your stuff has problems or is fake even, and prices are "not doing well right now".

That's how it's always been, that's how it will always be.

Another side of the equation is according to what I'm reading, TR stuff is super hot these days, there is much more demand than supply (enter the fakes to make up the difference...) They've analyzed the market, it's (maybe a low estimate?) a $40 million a year market, with the top dogs going for the cream of the crop, and us lowly guys and beginning collectors fighting for the scraps...

After reading that post I just hope you are feeling better and it was therapeutic for you buddy!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast