Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tom Wittmann's SS Dagger prices

Article about: SS Ringman you hit nail on head. I too am an old collector back in 92/93 I sold everything in a fit of rage after my wife leave me. Why because I feel German militaria will not keep me in fo

One thing I wonder about is in 20-30 years when we current collectors start popping our clogs (I'm making the observation that most of the members of this forum seem to be aged 40+) that will there be the same interest in collecting TR artifacts from the then 40 year olds?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tom Wittmann's  SS Dagger prices
    P
    Many

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    One thing I wonder about is in 20-30 years when we current collectors start popping our clogs (I'm making the observation that most of the members of this forum seem to be aged 40+) that will there be the same interest in collecting TR artifacts from the then 40 year olds?
    I must say I've enjoyed reading all this thread.

That's a very interesting point Glen. Is this collecting interest spilling over to the younger generation. Perhaps we should have a poll of all the ages of members on this site??

I think it would be an interesting exercise SK. Given the younger generation's more immediate requirements in terms of paying mortgages, car loans, raising families etc that only around the 40 year mark do many collectors find the disposable income to buy such expensive and (to us), interesting baubles.

Perhaps being raised on a steady diet of Saturday afternoon WW2 matinees has fueled our interest to a peak where as you say, the younger generation may not have such a desire to collect?

In the future new generations will inherit these great items from us, it s important that we make sure that the interest for this hobby stays amongst them, also if prices continue increasing, as they have since the fifties, future generations will see this as a potential investment

I will be 41 next month. My passion for history started at a young age but my ability to afford any type of collection was only in the past 5 to 6 years. You hit it on the nose Glenn..

I totally agree with all Glen writes too, the younger generation have to pass through the stages in life. We The Older Generation all have or did have a close member of the family who went to war or even experienced the hard ship. I constantly went on at my Grandfather to tell me ww1 war stories, but he just wanted to sleep when he visited our house.

But, the seed has to be there from the start to have an interest, buying an expensive item for an investment Yes a later in life purchase., I always view the threads " my little collection " as these are the hobbies future and should be encouraged.

Thx for reading UKC, and yes, it was therapeutic I like to write, I like to vent sometimes... I like to devote time to the forum even though I should be doing something else, I think my wife is reminding me right now, grrrr...

I'm 55, a lot of personal family involvement in the war... it was still a pretty hot topic in the 60's, I think I was bit by the bug real early. My mom wouldn't let me have anything like that as a kid, maybe I'm trying to compensate for that now? I've had three big waves of collecting in my life, but this is my best one. I never really bothered with anything but TR pistols in my second wave, a lot easier items to collect. I can tell you in three seconds if a pistol is a straight up piece or not, some of this other stuff, uniforms, helmets, daggers, medals has always been complicated and subject to the whims of people's opinions...

Thx to this forum, I was able to get the education I needed to probably spend $10k this year (don't even really want to know...) and not get ripped off one single time.

Thx to everyone here for making this forum a fun and educational place to be, and especially to the mods for putting up with us and occasionally putting us back in line.
    Last edited by Larboard; 12-14-2015 at 04:39 AM.

I think theres a fair bit of sense in what Larboard have said.
    I agree our militaria does hold its value well but the big question is for who? As a collector, in my experience if you buy from a dealer today you are absolutely years before you are offered that same price again as a trade. Taking out the addiction factor which we all have, strictly speaking most of us would be better off leaving the money in the bank.
    These days I cant help but think there are be better ways of spending the money especially when I start thinking of the things id like to do and things Id like to see.

Last edited by big ned; 12-14-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast