Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Understanding SS Chain Daggers

Article about: In terms of the wide variety and combination of components used in production, the M36 SS chain dagger is the most complex for collectors to understand. Here is an article that we posted on

?

Default Understanding SS Chain Daggers

In terms of the wide variety and combination of components used in production, the M36 SS chain dagger is the most complex for collectors to understand. Here is an article that we posted on our website that lists many of the variables that we see these daggers comprised of. Because of the amount of photos, I just attached a link. But perhaps the other members can post their daggers in this thread, to exemplify and share their information.

The SS Chain Dagger

- - ------- - -

http://medamilitaria.com/the-ss-chain-dagger.html
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Understanding SS Chain Daggers  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Understanding SS Chain Daggers
    P
    Many

I hope Im doing this correctly JR to your request..and I will outline my CH SS to expected period specs.

Tom Wittmans Type II
    Collectors circles say Type 3...because..it follows in numerical order the first 2 types..and because Type A / Type 3 designates the nose bone "septum" in the nasal cavity
    Tom Wittmann accidentally works in reverse calling a later made Plated CH SS dagger a Type I..and is my opinion this type of dagger may have been encountered first by Wittmann. ...then the nickel fittings..with beveled Wotan knot connectors...he then called Type II.

Later on the rarities appear and now these are called Type 3...before Siegert Releases his SS Reference...who created the letter system Types A,B1,B2, and Type C.

Moving forward:...my dagger..nickel fittings and chain,,, early painted scabbard..unmarked blade. This dagger is a Type A Initial production with Type II Wotan knot connectors.

Understanding SS Chain Daggers Understanding SS Chain Daggers

Understanding SS Chain Daggers Understanding SS Chain Daggers

If my information is not sufficient and Im missing the point please correct me...but I also agree along with JR..that others post their CH SS daggers and their variations laid out in JRs link Regards Larry

Ralf Siegert calls my Chained SS a Type A ..using letter designations..from early to late. This sequence is more easily adhered to and easier to follow.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

That's a good start, Lar. Yours is all nickel construction, all the way through. Early chain dagger construction. The one that I posted is probably a 1939-40ish example. It has plated fittings & a anodized scabbard. In this later time frame, we see some manufactures eliminating the burnishing in the chain links / center band, as a cost saving method.

All nickel fittings and painted scabbard. Has a pin/rivet fixing in centre of wotan's knot that I have not seen before. Would be pleased to know its chainset type collector category, thank you.

Understanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain DaggersUnderstanding SS Chain Daggers

?

Yes, a nice early 36 as you say, with nickel all the way around. We see that little rivet, for the "v" spring in the Wotan's knot once in a while. While not an actual chain variation per se", it definitely is a very nice Type B1. Congratulations!

In agreement that the small rivet is a known - but most likely not sufficiently a variation to be considered a subtype or given a name. Also very much liking the condition with a well defined set of chain links etc. that hasn't been messed with/polished to death. With the same to be said regarding Larry's 1st production series (nasal septum type). Which still to my knowledge the first online discussion (prior to TW's book) one I posted on GDC that is a now long lost thread calling it a "Type X". Which did not catch on that eventually led to the "Type 3" label (which because of my other German collecting interests to me made no sense). But then I never agreed with the so-called "Type I" label for the 3rd production series either. That said, my congratulations to the owners of both daggers ...... Well Done!! With Best Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 02-15-2016 at 08:10 PM.