Article about: I got this off a ss dagger. is this a custom hanger

Default unsusal dagger hanger

I got this off a ss dagger. is this a custom hanger
    unsusal dagger hangerunsusal dagger hangerunsusal dagger hanger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement unsusal dagger hanger
    P
    Many

Yes it is and very rare ...its missing a retainer loop at the top that would allow for a 45 degree side carry imitating a Chained SS dagger carry.

The 2 rivets as seen on the reverse would allow the scabbard leather holder and the retainer loop to work together.
    This is a Near $600 value on the the hanger alone..would be worth a bit more if the retainer loop was still on it.

Below is my example as seen in Thomas Wittmanns and Ralf Siegerts SS reference

unsusal dagger hangerunsusal dagger hanger
    Siegfried B was my previous user name

a little history of this patented hanger
    This was not a homemade hanger as this actually had a patent number..(PA-Nr: 1333897-1934) and was created by a Leather maker by the name of Fritz Rasp. This hanger could be worn in the vertical carry position as it also had a rivet on the back of the sleeve to turn it on an angle and carried at a 45degree angle.

Almost the same theory as the Chained SS. Of special note that the patent date is the same year as the SS RZM control number year. There are more of this type of hanger found on early SA examples in brown than there are its black counterpart

unsusal dagger hanger

The hanger that you have posted is from the same time period and in a worn condition..but still shows the sculpted outlines on the edges of the hanger.

My question to you is...where is the SS dagger you have taken this hanger off of?

Regards Larry

Moved this thread to the SS dagger forum
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

here is the dagger it is rough I can buy it for $1150
    unsusal dagger hangerunsusal dagger hangerunsusal dagger hangerunsusal dagger hangerunsusal dagger hanger

Quote by jeeplover View Post
    here is the dagger it is rough I can buy it for $1150
    This dagger is made by Gustav Spitzer. Some damage to the handle, the plating missing from the fittings, but it does appear like it has been taken apart.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

how can you tell if it has been taken apart? I am very new to these. I do see that 2 screws at the bottom of the scabbard are missing. looking at the other screws they do not look tampered with.

The scabbard is anodized which makes it an early type...fitted with an early lower scabbard fitting and the upper fitting being a mid to late period plated type. Cant prove niether fittings ever belonged onto the scabbard.

The grip is an early type seen by the type and condition of the wood. The guards have lost their plating as Ralph stated and no way of proving they too ever belonged due to the tang nut having all its plating left or could be early nickel for that matters.

The photos are not the best with the flash drowning out much detail needed to see whats really going on.
    Can you provide pics of the inside of the guards as this dagger is surely not in a virgin state.

Photos of any tang markings and inner crossgaurd markings please. It may not make a difference but would like to see whats on the inside.
    By the way ..the blade has been over cleaned with an abrasive depreciating the value over all and mostly the blade.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

the dagger don't belong to me so I can not take it apart. it belongs to my friend. he said he would sell the hanger separate from the dagger.

Ok then.... all has been said and explained and there is nothing more.

Enjoy the hanger

Regards Larry