Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's so special about an SS dagger?

Article about: A wine glass from the Berghof,I hope it is not part of the 50,000 piece set that has been knocking around since thw war ended.Have you ever seen what the Berghof looked like after the bombin

?

Default What's so special about an SS dagger?

Hey there, I'm new to the forum. Now I'm more into antiquity type stuff, but I've always had a thing for WWII German Militaria. Often I'll see a couple dealers selling a few SA daggers at gun/knife shows for around $550-$950 depending on maker and condition etc, but occasionally, I'll see a beat up SS dagger going for like $1500. I've always wondered, what makes the SS dagger worth so much more than the SA dagger? Is there some other factor playing in the market other than supply and demand and the "SS premium"? I'm sure there were more SA daggers made than SS daggers, but how many more? From my understanding anyone in the SS including enlisted men could order these?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What's so special about an SS dagger?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What's so special about an SS dagger?

Good old supply and demand!

Anything SS always has a premium attached to it. SA's are more common.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I think it has to do with the "SS Mystique". The SS have always held a fascination for many people for many reasons ranging from their "Elite status" to their sinister reputation. If it's controversial, you will always see collectors attracted to it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I think it has to do with the "SS Mystique". The SS have always held a fascination for many people for many reasons ranging from their "Elite status" to their sinister reputation. If it's controversial, you will always see collectors attracted to it.
    Took the words right out of my mouth

Sorry I forgot to address the subject of numbers, as I was taking my wife Lez to hospital this morning and so was in a rush.

Roughly ( all these figures about dagger production are best estimates) there were 3 million SA daggers produced, compared with around 220,000 SS daggers of 1933 pattern.

Moving onto the Rohm dedication dagger: Approx 120,960 daggers were ordered but not all were delivered due to Rohm's demise..Perhaps two thirds were of these were produced? 9,900 SS daggers with Rohm dedication were ordered with again around two thirds being delivered.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I also believe the items are scarce due to many being destroyed at the end of the war in an attempt at not being identified as being part of the SS

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Gent View Post
    Hey there, I'm new to the forum. Now I'm more into antiquity type stuff, but I've always had a thing for WWII German Militaria. Often I'll see a couple dealers selling a few SA daggers at gun/knife shows for around $550-$950 depending on maker and condition etc, but occasionally, I'll see a beat up SS dagger going for like $1500. I've always wondered, what makes the SS dagger worth so much more than the SA dagger? Is there some other factor playing in the market other than supply and demand and the "SS premium"? I'm sure there were more SA daggers made than SS daggers, but how many more? From my understanding anyone in the SS including enlisted men could order these?
    Actualy, it is not uncommon to see a good early SS Röhm dagger going for 10+K.....
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Welcome to the forum!
    A quick look through any dealer's site or outlet that sells SS items will show that all SS items command a premium price. It isn't just applicable to daggers.
    Uniforms, helmets, visor caps, paperwork, photos etc etc are all much higher in price than 'regular' items by comparison.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thanks for all the replies guys!, I appreciate it very much. I plan on adding onto my German collection a bit more in the coming months and a dagger of some kind is in order. (most likely an SA to start off, but if I'm feeling ballsy enough to spend the cash, I'll go with the SS) right now all I have is a wineglass from the Berghof and a WWI trench dagger my grandpa traded a pack of lucky strikes for.

Stickgrenade I think you have hit on the main reason.After the war anyone who had anything to do with the SS hid or destroyed much of their gear for fear of what the allies would do to them.I met a man one time who was in the HJ when the war ended his mother made him bury all of his uniform ,knife included the the back yard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast