Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Would like opinions on Chained SS Type 2...

Article about: Hi all. I'd like to get some feedback on this chained SS. I believe at very least the lower guard is a replacement. There are some other details that are giving me pause, but then again I te

?

Default Would like opinions on Chained SS Type 2...

Hi all. I'd like to get some feedback on this chained SS. I believe at very least the lower guard is a replacement. There are some other details that are giving me pause, but then again I tend to focus too much on the exact detailing and don't always consider the various nuances that we see with daggers in general.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would like opinions on Chained SS Type 2...
    P
    Many

no expert.not keen on it there seems to be a lot of small pitting on the metal work that should not be there.

?

Thanks Harry. I'm not an expert on these chained SS daggers either. However, I'm not seeing the pitting that you mentioned. The smaller thumbnail versions do look a little grainy until you click them to enlarge? I assume you clicked on the photos to enlarge them?

I looked at all of the images, and digitally enhanced more than a few (but not all of them) for an even closer look. Maybe some new even closer images in daylight will change my mind - but I didn't get a good feeling about this dagger which reminded me to some extent of some relatively recent examples that have been turning up from time to time in the marketplace. Best Regards, Fred

?

Top crossguard is solid nickle & the bottom crossguard is plated Zinc

not for me !

Mac 66.

?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Mac 66, I mentioned in my initial post about the mismatched guards, which by itself doesn't concern me. I see replaced guards on daggers more often than I'd like, but that doesn't cast it as a bad piece overall.

Fred, I've requested better photos, so we'll see if they come through. This one is certainly a well made repro, if indeed it is, which is why I'd like to give it a solid chance to shine. I actually went as far as superimposing the chain links over one of my Type 2s in Photoshop and they match up nicely.

I'll post the new photos if/when they come through, but I'd still like feedback from others in the meantime.

yes I did enlarge them,maybe its had a rough life.

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Mac 66, I mentioned in my initial post about the mismatched guards, which by itself doesn't concern me. I see replaced guards on daggers more often than I'd like, but that doesn't cast it as a bad piece overall.

Fred, I've requested better photos, so we'll see if they come through. This one is certainly a well made repro, if indeed it is, which is why I'd like to give it a solid chance to shine. I actually went as far as superimposing the chain links over one of my Type 2s in Photoshop and they match up nicely.

I'll post the new photos if/when they come through, but I'd still like feedback from others in the meantime.
    Without being judgmental at this point (needing additional images both front and rear) - some more recent acknowledged fakes have fooled more than one individual until additional information became available. Also having been involved in more than one back and forth discussion with fakers who wanted to know just what exactly gave their fakes away as not being period. So I guess that we shall have to wait and see if the seller follows through with your request. Best Regards, Fred

This is a Mid to late period ensemble..this variant being a Type B2 just before the Type 1. ( Confusing I know for those turning on their TV set now )

Im seeing alot of stress with the fittings and yet perfect pebbling on the tabs...whats killing this dagger and chain is the overall lighting and flash..which is either maximizing some detail and also minimizing detail..that needs to be maximized. The tabs appear to be a different color..almost like a tan sheen..and the pebbling appears to be larger than normal...all this due to the lighting.

"Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
    Removes the colours from our sight,
    Red is gray and yellow white,
    But we decide which is right.
    And which is an illusion? ( Moody Blues: Days of a future passed )

Without decent unwashed out photos...my money would still remain in my pocket..and whether it may be authentic...the bottom line is ...the photos have to be a better sell. There are other examples to be acquired. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill